Fermentation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apscarpelli

Reaction score
All,
I made a batch of Northern Brewer's Pumpkin Spice Ale yesterday and before taking the OG I dumped half the yeast into the carboy and realized what I had done and took a quick reading and then poured in the rest of the yeast and put the stopper and airlock on.

I went and checked on the carboy and it's been 24 hours and still no fermenting. Looks like all the yeast is on the bottom of the carboy and I used the Safale US-05.

Any ideas or wait 2 more days and then pull a reading?

ok, a few things to think about. first the gravity reading really shouldnt be effected. next, the delay in your visable fermentation couldbe a few things. one being the temp is off and causing a slow start. some fermentations take longer then others. second your yeast could be alot less viable then you thought. third your air lock/bung/lid may have a leak and it wont show many signs of fermenting other then a noticable kruesen*. give it time (as anyone would say). if you dont see a change in a day or two buy more yeast. also did you rehydrate your yeast? not necessary but helps make a healthier start to your beer. let me know. cheers

So to answer your questions. The kit was suppose to have an OG of 1.052. What I could see it was about 1.048 (was foamy at the top so hard to tell). The temp has slowly climbed down to about 65ish and started around 72. I was thinking that maybe I poured a little yeast out in my OG reading in the hydrometer, but I still had half of the yeast left that I poured in after the reading. I checked my air lock on the carboy and pushed it in further. I've used this same one for 2 brews so I know there is no leak their. I do have some yeast in the fridge that I can use. I did also rehydrate this yeast before pitching. I'd be fine with no bubbles, but no foam or krausen at the top is forming yet.

Your efficiency isnt that far off. Plus most hydrometers are calibrated to 60°, plenty of adjusting calcs online. Im guessing you are pretty close. As for the yeast, i have no First hand knowledge as to the difference it makes so soon after being added. I would assume its not much of a problem, but cant be sure without testing it myself on a split batch. Give it a bit more time recheck the hydro then if need be, repitch. Hope you post your progress and results. Cheers.

Yeah, today still no fermenting. The temp gauge on the car boy isn't registering (lowest temp is 64). I put carpet beneath the carboy instead of cement and wrapped it in carpet. If no krausen tomorrow I'll test the gravity and if nothing has changed re-pitch some more yeast. I may even move it up stairs to a warmer room.

apscarpelli said:
All,
I made a batch of Northern Brewer's Pumpkin Spice Ale yesterday and before taking the OG I dumped half the yeast into the carboy and realized what I had done and took a quick reading and then poured in the rest of the yeast and put the stopper and airlock on.

I went and checked on the carboy and it's been 24 hours and still no fermenting. Looks like all the yeast is on the bottom of the carboy and I used the Safale US-05.

Any ideas or wait 2 more days and then pull a reading?

The partial pitch is not a problem and the fermentation could take up to 72 hours.

You pitched high and then dropped the temp which will shock the yeast a bit and add lag time. You also may not have aerated enough as well.

Give the primary a little shake and rouse the yeast and leave it alone. My bet is soon enough it will start without any additional yeast pitched.

I ended up moving the carboy upstairs where it now has a temp of 70ish. I think I aerated this pretty good. I poured it through 2 strainers and then once inside the carboy splashed it around for 2-5 minutes. The most I've ever done actually compared to my previous 2 batches.

When I moved it up stairs I spinned it in a circle to get the yeast cake off the bottom last night and just looked and still nothing.

I'll give it 24 hours more then I'm taking a reading and re-pitching more yeast if needed.

I measured the gravity tonight and it was 1.048 (exactly what it was for the OG), so i rehydrated some more yeast and pitched that. Hoping this will get some fermenting going. How is the sticky temperature gauge on a carboy read? The blue highlight is the temp of the carboy? In my basement it was not below at all and I believe it was below the 64 degree temp. When I moved it up stairs it was 72-74. I moved it back downstairs and set it on carpet instead of the cement and placed a piece of carpet all the way around the carboy to insulate it.

Any other thoughts guys?

Back