Fermentation progress - quick question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XdanimalX

Reaction score
Hi all - I have 2 gallons of a 1.074 IPA in my primary and had a strong fermentation after 4 hours (Safale US-05 in starter ~36 hours); I checked last night after 15 days and FG is reading 1.030. This is my 2nd batch after many years off from brewing and am wondering if I can expect/hope for a lower reading in the coming week(s), or should I rouse the primary a bit?

Thanks

Hi all - I have 2 gallons of a 1.074 IPA in my primary and had a strong fermentation after 4 hours (Safale US-05 in starter ~36 hours); I checked last night after 15 days and FG is reading 1.030. This is my 2nd batch after many years off from brewing and am wondering if I can expect/hope for a lower reading in the coming week(s), or should I rouse the primary a bit?

Thanks

Did you use a hydrometer or refractometer?

1.030 is way too high FG for IPA. Please detail ingredients, process, temps, etc so people can better diagnose issue.

I'm using a hydro for both OG and FG. I don't have my ingredient notes on me, but it was a SN Celebration Pale Ale clone that came in at a higher gravity (s 1.074 vs 1.067); pitched at about 70 degrees and fermentation has been 70 - 72 for last 15 days.

The one thing that I just thought of which I might be my issue. I didn't have vodka for the airlock so I used some Star San solution. There was some blow-off into the airlock so perhaps the solution leaked into the ferment and stopped everything dead in its tracks.

Back