fermentation problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRitter449

Reaction score
I used kölsh yeast in my latest home brew. Its been in primary for 10 days and has a decent amount of thick kraussen on it. I understand that it is a low flocculating strain of yeast so should I filter it to a secondary to get rid of the build up? I took a gravity reading and it is at 7% abv.

Nope, just say no to secondaries...as best I can tell the only reason they sell them in kits is to sell you another piece of equipment. There are no benefits to them outside of a few specialized areas. You don't want to get rid of the build up that is good healthy yeast that will clear up the off flavors produced during fermentation. If you go to a secondary you will have much less yeast available to clean your beer out. Let it floc. As far as gravity, all that matters is what your SG is, not your ABV. If you hit your expected SG and it is stable for a few days you know it is done; however, like I said, the yeast is still working so let it finish its job.

Ok thanks. I never had yeast buildup that lasted this long so I wasnt sure what to do.

Some krausens are really persistent. I have had beers be completely finished and still had to rack it from under the krausen. However, usually with a little time they will fall.

Don't filter. Unless you have an actual beer filter (the openings are very tiny) you're just going to oxidize your beer.

If you want to get a stubborn yeast to floc out, stick the primary inside a cold fridge (35-36*F) about a week.

Back