Fermentation Plastic Conical Tank Help Please (pictures included)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nichols2127

Reaction score
Hey guys. I have tried everything I know to get a stainless steel fitting to go into the bottom of the plastic fitting on an induction tank and keep it from leaking. It fits fine but leaks under water at the point of contact. Any suggestion or help you could throw my way would be appreciated!! Thanks.
IMG_6895.JPG
IMG_6891.JPG
IMG_6706.JPG

dont they make those with regular female threads molded into the bottom? thats what the 110gallon versions of them that I have uses. I use the included hoseclamp along with telfon tape to stop the leaks from the head pressure when full.

Maybe you can get a hose clamp to work?

I have a similar setup. I dont have the metal fittings going into the tank. I used a plastic adapter. Could the wort be leaking from the metal to plastic?

I have a similar setup. I dont have the metal fittings going into the tank. I used a plastic adapter. Could the wort be leaking from the metal to plastic?
shouldnt matter honestly... theres telfon tape between that should be filling the gap as well.. mine are similiar stainless tc male threads going into the plastic tanks as well.

I just mounted stainless cooling coils into my lids on saturday... havent used them yet.

Thanks for the replies guys. I’ll try the clamp idea. I’m starting to realize that stainless to plastic is not a great idea!

I would try a more liberal application of the Teflon tape, and if that doesn’t get it perhaps a light schmeer of 100% silicon sealant food grade on the threaded area as you assemble aka pipe dope assembly.

Thanks Wilser. I actually did that to a reducer and got it to stop leaking. It’s a pvc reducer so it’s plastic to plastic. Ordered a 3/4 male to go into the pvc. I’ll cover it heavy with Teflon tape and attempt to do the same thing. I had good intentions, just not good execution!!

As I meant to make more clear, The manufacturer originally shipped all mine with the hoseclamp to keep the threads tight and things from stretching at that fitting... I think it may help keep things from leaking down the line if anything. Mine are the "full drain" version though.

Back