Fermentation pics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wmarkw

Reaction score
My blonde is 3 weeks and 2 days in primary. Was gonna bottle this past Sunday but noticed several bubbles on the surface. No air lock activity but to me it looks like this could still be fermenting. These are 1 gal batches so no hydrometer readings. Does it look done? The 3rd pic is Ed worts haus pale ale that is 2+ weeks in primary and it looks flat and not active. Don't want to have bombs. I have always bottled at 3 weeks and they all had a flat surface; no bubbling. Thought I would get some opinions. TIA

Mark

Blonde

image-3262170503.jpg

Blonde

image-607101769.jpg

haus ipa

image-2301917639.jpg

Even if they're just 1 gallons batches, why wouldn't you be able to take hydro numbers? At 3 weeks in the primary, it should be done but only way to know for sure is the hydro reading.

I know it's important to do readings but haven't taken that next step.

Well, you've got a situation here don't you? Hydrometer readings are the only sure way to know when fermentation is complete. In the absence of them, you should give fermentation plenty of time. 3 weeks is usually enough, but if you're that concerned about bottle bombs, why not wait another week? How many volumes are you planning to carb to? FWIW, I think you'd be more likely to end up with more volumes of CO2 than expected as opposed to bottle bombs at this point.

I know it's important to do readings but haven't taken that next step.

It's past time to take that "next step." A hydrometer costs like $6 and it's by far the most valuable tool for a homebrewer. Do yourself a favor and pick one up next time your at the LHBS or order online and learn how to use it.

Mark...I've been taking hydrometer readings on my brews. I've sanitized the HELL out of everything, and very very very carefully, used a sanitized turkey baster to collect samples right out of the carboy. Then, I use the baster to return the samples without aerating the wort. I've been told by a few people that I shouldn't worry about returning the sample, and everything would be fine. I figured...Why not? So I took the plunge. I just bottled my English Brown Ale this past Sunday after 3 straight days of the same hydrometer reading.

I recommend you try the same course of action. Just my 2 cents...

~Jeff

Hi Mark. You live in Evans, GA, huh? Well, I used to live in the Augusta area and it's a pretty big city. Take the time and go find a brewstore and pick up a hydrometer. It will be worth it. Take a reading when you get it, wait a couple of days and check again. If no change, then you're good to bottle. Good luck.

Thanks for the advice all. Jeff I may go your route but still need to explore a refractometer.

Refractometers are cool for when you are brewing, especially all grain. However, the alcohol in the fermented beer makes it harder to use after fermentation. It can be done, but there is some formula you have to use to correlate the results. I use mine only on brew day to check the different runnings, but after I add yeast, it's all hydrometer.

refractometers are cool for when you are brewing, especially all grain. However, the alcohol in the fermented beer makes it harder to use after fermentation. It can be done, but there is some formula you have to use to correlate the results. I use mine only on brew day to check the different runnings, but after i add yeast, it's all hydrometer.

+1

wmarkw said:
Thanks for the advice all. Jeff I may go your route but still need to explore a refractometer.

Hey, I'm in grovetown and I haven't found a brew store in Augusta, I use brewmasters warehouse in ATL

Also, they have one day shipping for 6.99

Hey, I'm in grovetown and I haven't found a brew store in Augusta, I use brewmasters warehouse in ATL

Also, they have one day shipping for 6.99

Cool! I have checked out their website. I have used Austin Home Brew as well.

Columbia has a brew shop and you can order on line from them. I have done that a couple of times and made a trip up there last month to stock up on some grain.

http://www.liquidhobby.com/mm5/merc...76b353998293db4fcd2&Screen=SFNT&Store_Code=LH

Back