Fermentation - No Air Lock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevo10

Reaction score
Hi There

I have started my first attempt at making some home made lager. I received a starter kit as a gift and have followed the instructions this evening and it is currently all in the fermentation bucket, yeast added and lid applied.

However I would have thought the bucket would come with some sort of air lock, but there is no grommet in the lid and no airlock provided. Does this mean I'm almost certain to have a nice explosion in a couple of days as no pressure can be released?

Any advise is much appreciated

yes.
with the given information, i would place the lid on top and not snap it down. just place it on the bucket. next time before you brew again go to a homebrew store and get a lid with a grommet and an airlock.

Thanks for the advice, my brother also has a kit so might go and 'borrow' his airlock and possibly lid if it fits tomorrow. Lid now sat loosely on top to stop the explosion tonight.

The coopers kit has a weird set up also. The lid just sits on and doesn't lock down aside from two little plastic clips, and there is no airlock. if its not completely air tight the gases will seep out and you will be fine, there is also a lot of head space in their kit. Knowing what I know now I would have returned it and gotten my money back.

Just take the grommet out (by the way, a grommet by itself is hardly air tight) and let it ride.

People have been open fermenting for thousands of years, as long as your beer is in a decently clean area it should be fine.

Also, once fermentation starts in earnest the postitive pressure from the CO2 given off by the yeast will help to ensure that nothing nasty makes it inside.

I'm a big fan of airlocks, dont get me wrong. But if you cant find one soon I'd bet that you'll be alright.

Good luck!

Back