Fermentation Lock Problem...Please advise!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyclonebrew

Reaction score
I finished my first extract beer last night. It went real smooth. I went down stairs to check on the fermentor. I thought I might have a little to much water in the fermentation lock. So I removed the fermentation lock to empty a little of the water. When I went to put the lock back in the top of the plastic bucket the little rubber washer fell into the fermentor (it's at the bottom of my beer-to-be). What should I do now? I put the lock into the whole and sealed around the lock with tape. Where can I get another rubber washer? Please advise! Thanks for all your help!

Cyclonebrew

Don't worry you are not on your own this is a mistake most people seem to of made.
If you have a secondary the beer should only be in primary for 5-7 days. So the grommet will be left behind with the trub.
Your airlock will probably not bubble now unless you did a really good job with the tape but don't worry the co2 will just be escaping around the tape. You'll not know when C02 production has finished so you'll have to guess using the fact the krausen has fallen or take a gravity reading.

As for the grommet any HBS should have one.

Thanks. Your posts have put me at ease. I am heading over to my not-so local 25 minute drive homebrew shop on Weds. I will pick-up a grommet! Being new to brewing, forum and posting...I thank you for the fast response.

This happens to everybody it seems. One of my barrels has the airlock pushed in and sealed with silicon gel (drunk when putting airlock in). Check my gallery and look at the barrel on the right!

EDIT : Pick up two / three when you are there!

cyclonebrew said:
Thanks. Your posts have put me at ease. I am heading over to my not-so local 25 minute drive homebrew shop on Weds. I will pick-up a grommet! Being new to brewing, forum and posting...I thank you for the fast response.

Not sure if you already have them but a hydrometer and a secondary fermenter would be a great addition to your brewery. It'll save you going back to the HBS in a few days. It'll make your beer better.;)

...and a jetwasher, another barrel for secondary, bottling wand, benchtop capper, several bags of DME, various hops, several yeasts...

I need to pick-up a couple of things. Would you recommend using a plastic bucket for secondary? or a glass carboy? I also need a siphon hose. I need to make a list. Thaks for your help and suggestions.

A glass carboy is what I use, it's great to see what's happening, never had problems with skunking or breakage, it's easy to clean.

BUT

I think I'd have people think twice about the Better bottles in light of a few recent posts.

As for purchaces it depends on the direction of brewing you are thinking of brewing and the budget you have.

The one things that will open horizons for you and allow you to progress to any level of brewing is a turkey fryer and wort chiller.

orfy said:
A glass carboy is what I use, it's great to see what's happening, never had problems with skunking or breakage, it's easy to clean.

BUT

I think I'd have people think twice about the Better bottles in light of a few recent posts.

As for purchaces it depends on the direction of brewing you are thinking of brewing and the budget you have.

The one things that will open horizons for you and allow you to progress to any level of brewing is a turkey fryer and wort chiller.

I haven't been on in a few days, where can I find the posts about Better Bottle problems.

Sorry not clear.

I mean I have glass carboys but would give more thought to buying a better bottle due to recent posts.
Mishaps etc with glass carboys.
I like my glass carboys but am weary of them.
I don't like the better bottle for several reasons but there are safety benefits over the carboys.

I'd hate to think I'd recommended the glass to someone only for them to take my word and then run into problems.

orfy said:
Sorry not clear.

I mean I have glass carboys but would give more thought to buying a better bottle due to recent posts.
Mishaps etc with glass carboys.
I like my glass carboys but am weary of them.
I don't like the better bottle for several reasons but there are safety benefits over the carboys.

I'd hate to think I'd recommended the glass to someone only for them to take my word and then run into problems.

Got what you are saying now. The only reason I ended up with better bottles is because of shipping costs, but I like em. (Mostly because I know that I would have probably broken a glass carboy by now).

Latest posts

Back