Fermentation Issue???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schmoyer1

Reaction score
Brewed an American Pale Ale last Saturday evening (2-8).

By Sunday there was activity showing up in the airlock.

By Monday all activity had stopped.

Tuesday I pulled the lid to take a look at things. Thick layer of krausen present.

Put the lid back on and been letting it sit since. There are small bubbles that form over a day or two in the airlock but not enough to actually make it "pop" up and down.

Temp strip on plastic bucket reads 64-65 degrees consistently.

Is something wrong? Do I need to re-pitch some yeast or just be patient (not my strength) and let things ride for another week and then pull the lid to check on things again?

I planned on racking to a glass carboy and dry hopping once for several weeks prior to bottling.

Any advice would be helpful, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

It's fermenting. You're probably using a bucket that doesn't have a tight seal,so air is leaking. Leave it. let it run it's course. In two weeks check the gravity then check again in another day or so... If it's the same, rack it... Bottle it.... Drink it.

Your yeast is acting very normal. The most active part of the fermentation is over. Now the yeast are beginning the clean up work. Take a hydrometer reading around the 22nd and another two days later. Final gravity may have been reached for an average gravity beer by that time.
Another week in the primary will allow the beer to clear and develop a compact cake of trub and yeast at the bottom of your fermentor.

Insanim8er - thanks for the advice, I figured it should be fine since everything looked to be normal but with this only being my 4th batch I always seem to worry too much if something seems to be not quite right.

I took a OG reading so I'll give it a few weeks and do what you suggested to make sure things are in the right range.

Thanks!

Brewed an American Pale Ale last Saturday evening (2-8).

By Sunday there was activity showing up in the airlock.

By Monday all activity had stopped.

Tuesday I pulled the lid to take a look at things. Thick layer of krausen present.

Put the lid back on and been letting it sit since. There are small bubbles that form over a day or two in the airlock but not enough to actually make it "pop" up and down.

Temp strip on plastic bucket reads 64-65 degrees consistently.

Is something wrong? Do I need to re-pitch some yeast or just be patient (not my strength) and let things ride for another week and then pull the lid to check on things again?

I planned on racking to a glass carboy and dry hopping once for several weeks prior to bottling.

Any advice would be helpful, thanks!

You can dry hop right in the primary and not bother moving your beer. Make sure that the fermentation is done before you add the hops and leave them for 3 to 7 days and then bottle. People have reported a grassy flavor if the hops are left too long. I've left hops in mine for 2 weeks without that but maybe I just got lucky.

I dry hop in the primary. In fact, I never use a secondary. My beers turn out wonderful. I bought a really nice 6"x9" fine mesh bag that I use to dry hop with. Works like a charm. I pull the string tight and close the lid down onto it for easy retrieval. My American barleywines have never tasted better. :rockin:

Back