Fermentation in a 52 gallon plasic bin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bennielamont

Reaction score
Hi all I am new to home brewing I have done 10 5 gallon brews before now I want to up my game to 52 gallon brewing. I just want to fined out about the bubbler will i still just use 1 or must I make a different plan. If any one can help Please.
Thank you in advance.
Bennie Lamont
South Africa

I think it will seal like a 6.6 gallon bin. Will i need a different bubbler or is 1 just fine.

If youre doing 52 gallons at a time you need to have some serious equipment. Whats the fermentation vessel? And yeah i think the CO2 produced from 52 gallon would overpower ONE airlock. 5 gallon batches sometimes blow them off.

Interesting jumping from 5 gallons to 52..

but to answer your question, use a blowoff tube running into a 5 gallon bucket and not an airlock.

Hi treacheroustexan
Thanks fot the replay it is a party to supply and dont get some thing in between at this stage.
A blowoff tube into a 5 gallon will that be just a tube running out of the 52 in to the 5 gallon and what else do I need on the 2.

but to answer your question, use a blowoff tube running into a 5 gallon bucket and not an airlock.

Hi treacheroustexan
Thanks fot the replay, it is my B party to supply and dont have that much 5 gallon buckets.
A blowoff tube into a 5 gallon will that be just a tube running out of the 52 in to the 5 gallon and what else do I need on the 2 buckets

Thanks for the replay
The blowoff tube running from the 5 to the 52 will that be the only thing or will I need something else and what must be in the 5 gallon.

Ok forgive me for guessing your set up. Now if you have a 52 gallon container you should need 8 gallons of room for the kruasen as a minimum. more room would be better. One air lock will work un less the krausen gets in the airlock. This is why you need more room. This being said the tempature control of the fermentation will be more difficult depending on how you want to control it. You might be pissed if it taste like Jet fuel. A 5 gallon container with a blow off tube should be good enough. Tempature control is the issue I would sweat.:mug:

Thanks for the replay
The blowoff tube running from the 52 to the 5 will that be the only thing or will I need something else and what must be in the 5 gallon. And how thick must the tube be and do I need to seal it at both ends.

If youre doing 52 gallons at a time you need to have some serious equipment. Whats the fermentation vessel? And yeah i think the CO2 produced from 52 gallon would overpower ONE airlock. 5 gallon batches sometimes blow them off.

Hi Jasper it is a plastic fermentation vessel that food get stored in.

Thanks for the replay
The blowoff tube running from the 52 to the 5 will that be the only thing or will I need something else and what must be in the 5 gallon. And how thick must the tube be and do I need to seal it at both ends.

The tube does not need to be heavy walled. It does need to be a minimum of 1/2 inside diameter and larger is better. It does not need to be sealed at either end so long as it is rather snug on the fermentation chamber or what ever you are using. :mug:

I'm interested to know how you plan to brew this? Going from 5 to 52 gallons is a mighty big jump. Are you going to dump a stack of pre-hopped kits into the fermentor with some boiling water and topup with tap water - which would be a pretty cheap / easy way to get a swagload of beer for a party? or do you plan do mash and boil this beast up somehow?

Just curious is all :)

I am thinking do do my normal brew the hops and dme in my 5 gallon earn just do this a couple of times

A bung with a blow off tube would start the process but a normal air lock will work after initial fermentation is mostly done.

Check this out - [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bKyjOG7WkE[/ame]

Chelishubby
Thank you do i need anything in the 5 gallon bin

A couple of gallons of water with sanitizer, Keep the hose in the water and change the water in the bucket after first 4 days or if the bucket is full. After the first week things will slow down.:mug:

What kind of beer you making anyway? Let us know how it goes and best of luck! Sanitize Sanitize Sanitize!!! You can't afford to screw up with this much quantity.

Hi Jasper i am busy with a lager clone one of the old SA beer that you cant buy any more. Will let you know will start in 2 to 3 weeks time.

Hi sorry a South Africa clone beer and yes I a brew shop close to me do sell fresh ingredients.

Hi MaryB did not think about that will recalculate and come up with something new thanks for that

Someone else mentioned it, but it bears repeating.

The biggest challenge will be cooling that down, especially to make a lager. Assuming you have some kind of walk in cooler, keep in mind that it's going to generate a pretty decent amount of heat just from fermentation. The beer itself is going to ferment quite a bit warmer than whatever room it is in.

this the amount of co2 coming from a 52 gallon batch will be more tha ten times the amount from a standard 5 gallon carboy

I think i must go to plan B and that is 10 x 5 gallons bins will be less hassel but just take up more space thank you all for the info. If i am going for the 52 gallon and tray that out i will let you know

I think i must go to plan B and that is 10 x 5 gallons bins will be less hassel but just take up more space thank you all for the info. If i am going for the 52 gallon and tray that out i will let you know
Hey million buck question how did it go?
Quick one which old sa beer recipe.
Desperately looking for a lion ale recipe for my old man

Back