Fermentation halted. Too hot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apunnekat

Reaction score
Brewing my second batch of cider... And fermentation seems to have stopped in 2 days!

Am from India and home brewing really isn't a thing here. So I've had to improv on some equipment, although some I did 'import' from Blighty.

I set 5 litres of Tropicana 100% Apple juice + 250 gms sugar to ferment in a plastic jerry can. Cut a hole on the cap to fit the airlock. After sterilisation with one Campden tablet and a 48-hour wait, I added a packet of Gervin Universal Wine yeast + half a teaspoon pectolase + one teaspoon yeast nutrient. On the first day, I could see bubbles coming out of the airlock every 30 secs or so.

Then I went out of station for 2 days... When I came back the water I put in the airlock had dried up, and fermentation completely halted. From the smell I don't suppose the wort has been fully fermented.

Room temperature has been around 32-35 degrees Celsius over past few days. Could the heat have killed off the yeast? Any suggestions on what I can do?

From what I've read, the strain Gervin uses for the Universal is the same as Lalvin's EC-1118. If this is true, then yes, the temperature was too hot. That strain has a temp range of 10-30*C.
http://www.lalvinyeast.com/EC1118.asp
Odds are you'll get some funky off flavours because of it, but you might be able to salvage it. It will likely take some time to age out any off flavours & there's no guarantee you'll be able to age them all out.

If you have a hydrometer, take a SG reading & see what the current ABV is. If it's not too high, simply cool the must down to about 20*C (if you can) & repitch new yeast. If you don't have another packet of the same yeast you could pitch another. Maybe there are enough viable yeast cells left in the must that all you need do is cool it down & give it a gentle stir to get it going again. Temp control really is important for good results. Good luck.
Regards, GF.

Thanks, Gratus. Will check the SG. And cool down the must and retry. Keeping fingers crossed. Thanks for the advice.

The water in the airlock didn't "dry up". During the two days that you were gone, the fermentation proceeded so violently due to the warm temperature that al the water in the airlock sprayed out due to very rapid CO2 production.

Production of fusel alcohols generally occurs during the yeast's multiplication, or lag, phase. That's the first day or so after pitching the yeast. During this phase, temperature control is most important.

My guess is that your fermentation is complete.

Latest posts

Back