Fermentation Fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AjhW

Reaction score
Just got done building a temperature control unit with cool and heat control.

What do you use to heat inside your fermentation unit.

I was thinking of using one of those reptile aquarium heating pads. I have a ceramic heat lamp in there now but it gets pretty hot and kind of scares me.

I have a plastic container that I add about 6" of water to and a small aquarium heater. Works great.

I use a 16" by 35" 68W terrarium heating pad, like this one:

warmtematten---s-15-cm-breed_3682_2.jpg

I wrap it around loosely the bucket (it doesn't touch the plastic) and let it do it's magic. 68W is more than enough.

Also, I made the temp control unit using the STC 1000. I was wondering if the temp. prob can be put in a cup of water for more accurate reading without damaging the unit.

Also, I made the temp control unit using the STC 1000. I was wondering if the temp. prob can be put in a cup of water for more accurate reading without damaging the unit.

I do that with the STC-1000 sensor in my keezer (in a jar of water with a small hole in the lid) and have had no problems. In my fermenter fridge, however, I simply tape the sensor to the side of the bucket and then cover it with some bubble wrap. I want to read the actual fermenter temp since it can run warmer during the first 3-5 days.

For heat, I use the DIY paint can fermenter heater and it works very well. You can adjust the level of heat generated simply by changing the wattage of the light bulb inside the can.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the advice. I ended up making one of those DIY paintcan heaters. It works great. Little safety tip, When you mount the light holder to the top of the paintcan lid, make sure the wires are not touching the lid. I did this by mistake and it blew a hole through the top of the can. Luckly I was not touching the can.

Thanks for the advice. I ended up making one of those DIY paintcan heaters. It works great. Little safety tip, When you mount the light holder to the top of the paintcan lid, make sure the wires are not touching the lid. I did this by mistake and it blew a hole through the top of the can. Luckly I was not touching the can.

Glad you're OK. Insulation is your friend when mounting electrical, even a light socket.

Back