Fermentation Fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewsmith

Home brewing moogerfooger
Reaction score
I just got my fermentation fridge, or I should say I just picked up another fridge to replace the one in the kitchen so that one can be the fermentation fridge. :p However, first I have to add some more electrical outlets in my garage. There are only two and one is in the ceiling for the garage door opener. Between that, the new fridge, the kegerator and the computer/music workstation there's just not enough outlets. That project starts as soon as I'm finished with the fence.

What model of temperature controler do you use?

I have a Ranco-111000, it's really great. I need to switch between heating & cooling as the weather changes. Had an analog unit & the tube for the probe sprung a leak after about 6 months.

Dont forget to put some sort of de humidification device inside you fermentation fridge when you are using it. Damp rid works really well, but is kinda messy.

Just a bump for my previous post. I know one's digital and the other is analog, but I want someone to convince me that the digital one is worth the extra price tag.

I just got a Johnson regulator and a Mini refrigerator for a lagering set up. It looks like a simple unit. I can't see how a digital set up would be much better except for the impressed the friend factor. For the most part you will still have to calibrate the thermostat with a thermometer in the fridge to get your desired temp, and an analog system will be less likely to break.

I have three of the Ranco units, all work well, and I paid $30-$40 each on eBay. Not sure how much the Johnson ones cost because these seemed like a good deal.

Yuri_Rage said:
I have three of the Ranco units, all work well, and I paid $30-$40 each on eBay. Not sure how much the Johnson ones cost because these seemed like a good deal.

Thats a good deal for a digital unit , I've seen them for 60 to 70 on ebay. Luckily I picked mine up for free , so I don't know how much they cost retail but I'd imagine they are in the $40 range.

Then I'll probably go the Ranco route and save couple dollars. I've already spent several hundred $$ on this hobby and SWMBO hasn't really complained yet. Smaller purchases like this can fly under the radar. :p

Back