Fermentation Fridge Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle

Reaction score
I've seen other topics but haven't seen a straight forward answer.

How reliable is a standard top freezer/bottom fridge for fermenting? I currently use a chest freezer with an inkbird controller that has been really reliable for maintaining temps. Thing is i want to upgrade my keezer to hold more kegs and I was just going to convert my fermenting freezer to a keezer. I have an older fridge in the garage that I can use for fermenting but wanted to make sure I can just plug in the fridge right to the inkbird and set the temp to the coldest setting on the fridge thermostat and call it a day.

I don't care if I lose the freezer capability I just want to make sure it's not going to create a lot of mold or won't last as long or able to keep steady temps before I make the switch.

Thanks

I use two refrigerators for fermentation (pic below); one is fairly standard size, the other is a tall dorm fridge. When I don't have anything in them, I unplug the Inkbird and crack the doors. No mold.

When it's keeping things at a specific temp, I don't have that mold issue. I don't know the cu ft capacity of the larger one, but it's on the smaller side. What I do like is having the freezer compartment; i can put bottles in there to chill prior to filling from the keezer. I have a FastRack so it's easy to put a rack of up to 24 bottles in there to chill.

newsetup6.jpg

Nice setup. When you use the bigger fridge for fermenting do you set both the freezer and fridge thermostat to the coldest setting and let the inkbird take over? Or does the freezer have to be set warmer to allow more airflow to the fridge portion.

Nice setup. When you use the bigger fridge for fermenting do you set both the freezer and fridge thermostat to the coldest setting and let the inkbird take over? Or does the freezer have to be set warmer to allow more airflow to the fridge portion.

There *is* no separate freezer setting. I just turn the refrigerator to the coldest setting and then let the Inkbird control it using its temperature probe. I've never seen a refrigerator/freezer that has separate controls, though I suppose something like that exists.

Yeah mine has a dial in the front that says refrigerator temp and another in the back that says freezer temp.

How are the temp swings? I have a thermowell so i don't think it'll be too dramatic but I just want to get all scenarios.

For basic top freezer models with separate temp controls for Freezer and Refrigerator, my understanding is that the Fridge setting controls the thermostat, and the Freezer setting controls a damper that determines how much of the cold air moves from freezer to fridge when the compressor/fan are running. YMMV

I put my Fridge setting on coldest, and the Freezer setting on warmest. This directs more cold air to the Fridge compartment, where I want it. Then I plug the fridge into the Inkbird and let it control the fridge temp.

To go a step further, I actually tape over some of the air vents in the freezer compartment to direct even more cold air to fridge compartment.

Well that answers my questions looks like I'm getting a bigger keezer [emoji482]

One more thing though is it necessary to put an external fan inside the fridge like in a chest freezer to help recirculate the air? I also have a small portable heater for temp control

One more thing though is it necessary to put an external fan inside the fridge like in a chest freezer to help recirculate the air? I also have a small portable heater for temp control

During the cooling cycle the fridge already has a fan that should create decent air movement. But a small fan certainly helps, especially if you have a heater in the chamber. I use a PC fan rigged up in a plastic box that sits on the shelf next to the fermenter.

There are no hard and fast rules. Most of us get by with as little as possible, and keep adding improvements to solve (or create) problems.

Get an upright freezer for fermentation. Less floor space and can hold plenty. I got a floor model from a local sears for pretty cheap. The best part is that you won’t have to lift your fermenters up nearly as high or risk dropping them as you put them in.

Yeah mine has a dial in the front that says refrigerator temp and another in the back that says freezer temp.

How are the temp swings? I have a thermowell so i don't think it'll be too dramatic but I just want to get all scenarios.

I have a 1-degree differential set into the Inkbird. The temp rarely gets outside of a plus/minus 1-degree range. And if it does, it's like .2 degree, inconsequential.

Latest posts

Back