fermentation chiller methods

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chiud

Reaction score
so summer is here, and temperature is warming up. I have been looking at various ways to cool my fermentation and from what I can find there are about 6 different methods:

1. wet T shirt or towel method over the fermentator +/- a fan
2. son/mother of fermentation
3. Mini-fridge attached to an insulating box
4. full size fridge with temperature controller
5. Igloo cooler (60-70 qt)with a cut out insulating top.
6. Insulating box placed over a AC vent

Looks like the T shirt and Igloo gives you the best bang for the buck, as it's easy, fairly cheap and effective without having to do a lot of electrical/circuit surgery. Plus you get other uses from an igloo and you can get one for $25.

I also see posting of people building a walk in cooler, gutting a minifridge or wine cooler and attaching it to a insulating box. I think that's beyond me.

A fridge is effective but you have to find a place for it and also haul it back home.

Any other easy options that others are aware of?

Dave

I have a chest freezer for my lagers, but my ales are in the closet in rubbermaid tubs full of water. I put a frozen half gallon jug in each tub every morning before I leave for work and crank the a/c up to 80. keeps em at 65 fine. If I need cooler temps, I just put more ice. I rarely have more than a 2 degree swing btw the time I leave for work and get home and crank the a/c back down.

someone tossed a big window a/c into a tiny room, insulated around it even more, and effectively had a mini walk-in.

not exactly cheap unless you have the right space and a spare 10,000btu a/c...but wouldn't it be nifty?

Here's another one for you:

7. Take a mini fridge, and add a wood collar and door so it will fit a carboy.

I've done this here...My mini fridge project. So far it's been a killer setup, and only took me an afternoon to build. I picked up the fridge for free from a friend, I had a half sheet of scrap plywood lying around, and the hinges and latches only cost about $6. On top of that, it holds a steady 60F by itself with no temp controller. :ban:

Latest posts

Back