Fermentation chamber smells like yogurt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burnsie8791

Reaction score
I did a few Berliner's this summer with a sour mash soured with grains with a short boil after wort was soured. After my last one my fermentation chamber smelled like yogurt, wiped it down and sprayed with bleach and wiped down again. Still stinky. Need to worry or just deal with it?

My guess is you'll likely have to deal with it. The foam insulation likely absorbed some of the stank. I doubt this will affect future brews sealed in a fermenter.

Is your fermentation chamber a fridge or foam insulation and wood? If it's foam insulation I'd consider replacing it if the smell gets to you. If it's a fridge I'd consider something like 2 tablespoons of bleach in a gallon of water to possibly eliminate the smell.

If that doesn't work pick your favorite Christmas Tree from the gas station and throw it in there for decoration. :D

Latest posts

Back