Fermentation chamber questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BPoling7

Reaction score
I have been recently finding out just how important fermentation temperature control is to making great beer. That being said, I want to build a fermentation chamber. I just happen to have a chest freezer to use but I don't know the first thing about what else I need. I don't think I'll need a heater because my basement never gets below 70 or so. One of my main questions is related to the logistics of using it: I really want to be able to cold crash after fermentation so I can have as much of the proteins as possible come to rest at the bottom of the carboy. But I'm afraid that after I cold crash and then lift the carboy up and out of the chamber to start the bottling process that I'll disturb the trub anyway and it'll all get mixed up. Does anyone have any experience with this? I have other questions too, but lets just start with this.

All you'd need to get started is an add-on controller such as this popular Inkbird model. Plug the controller into a wall outlet, plug the freezer into the controller, set your desired target temperature and you're off and running.

As for the "disturbing the crashed trub" thing I can't say if that's any greater a problem than me unloading carboys from an upright fridge chamber. There's always a bit of disturbance, sometimes more than other times, but by the time I get to the actual transfer everything is pretty much back on the bottom again...

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I cold-crash everything but my stouts.
Two or three days sitting at 34°F drops pretty near everything that'll drop.
I'll get bright beer after a couple of ounces poured, and when my kegs kick there's barely a coating left on the bottom...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back