Fermentation chamber heater

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InspectorJon

Reaction score
I made a FC out of a dorm room refrigerator. I’m thinking of using this Reptile Heater as a heat source. Any thoughts on this idea? The incandescent light bulb wrapped in aluminum foil I'm using using smells bad and doesn't seem like the best idea.

1606591764471.jpeg

1606591816586.jpeg

If you put the light bulb in a paint can it might work better but I would not just wrap it in aluminum foil.

I use one of these. Works great, has a fan to circulate the air and is designed to heat a small space.

96CDD368-1B5C-44A6-95AD-74E732F49250.png

I use a seedling heat mat which I wrap around the carboy with a big copper wire inside my small chest freezer. I put the probe in between the wire and carboy away from the mat. In march I grow stuff with the mat.

fwiw, I use 40 watt ceramic "reptile" bulbs in my two 17cf ferm fridges. That's plenty large enough for basement fridges, imo.
I used cheap ceramic fixtures mounted behind pc fans in open-backed wood boxes.

wcipa_2_01sm.jpg

Forget the Lasko, it's waay overpowered and will drive a ferm controller batpoopy...

Cheers!

I’ve used reptile heaters in the past and the heat source is directional and melted the inside of my ferm fridge. I now use a fermenter wrap similar to this. FermWrap Fermentation Heater | MoreBeer

If I have one fermenter in the fridge, I’ll loosely wrap it around the fermenter (I ferment in 1/4 barrel kegs). Last week I was fermenting a 10 gallon batch in 2 kegs and I just had the ferm wrap in the chamber not touching either fermenter. Garage temperature was 45 degrees and with active fermentation and the ferm wrap I could easily keep the temperature at 65 degrees. I like the ferm wrap since it is a very small profile compared to bulbs, heaters etc.

Forget the Lasko, it's waay overpowered and will drive a ferm controller batpoopy...

I guess that all depends on your fermchamber... Maybe too much for those small fridges. But works great in a ~25 cu/ft upright freezer with a 1/2 barrell conical in it! :p

I ended up getting: this
It works great. Just finishing up the first ferment using it. It moves the temperature pretty quickly in a small dorm style fridge.

1611337010449.png

Latest posts

Back