Quantcast

Fermentation chamber heater

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

InspectorJon

Reaction score
I made a FC out of a dorm room refrigerator. I’m thinking of using this Reptile Heater as a heat source. Any thoughts on this idea? The incandescent light bulb wrapped in aluminum foil I'm using using smells bad and doesn't seem like the best idea.

1606591764471.jpeg

1606591816586.jpeg

DBhomebrew

Reaction score
I've got one of those reptile heaters, only 60w. Works great. I'm not sure if I'd go all the way up to 150w such as in your link.

toadie

Reaction score
I use a seedling heat mat which I wrap around the carboy with a big copper wire inside my small chest freezer. I put the probe in between the wire and carboy away from the mat. In march I grow stuff with the mat.

day_trippr

"Now brewing exclusively with Hydrohydroxic Acid"
Reaction score
fwiw, I use 40 watt ceramic "reptile" bulbs in my two 17cf ferm fridges. That's plenty large enough for basement fridges, imo.
I used cheap ceramic fixtures mounted behind pc fans in open-backed wood boxes.

wcipa_2_01sm.jpg

Forget the Lasko, it's waay overpowered and will drive a ferm controller batpoopy...

Cheers!

Spartan1979

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I use one of these, stuck to the side of the fermentation chamber. It works well but it is more expensive than your soluction.

MusicLife

Reaction score
I use one of these, stuck to the side of the fermentation chamber. It works well but it is more expensive than your soluction.

using the pad do you need/use a little fan? Also is 1 pad that size adequate for a fridge?

NTexBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve used reptile heaters in the past and the heat source is directional and melted the inside of my ferm fridge. I now use a fermenter wrap similar to this. FermWrap Fermentation Heater | MoreBeer

If I have one fermenter in the fridge, I’ll loosely wrap it around the fermenter (I ferment in 1/4 barrel kegs). Last week I was fermenting a 10 gallon batch in 2 kegs and I just had the ferm wrap in the chamber not touching either fermenter. Garage temperature was 45 degrees and with active fermentation and the ferm wrap I could easily keep the temperature at 65 degrees. I like the ferm wrap since it is a very small profile compared to bulbs, heaters etc.

Nagorg

If a frog had wings...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Forget the Lasko, it's waay overpowered and will drive a ferm controller batpoopy...
I guess that all depends on your fermchamber... Maybe too much for those small fridges. But works great in a ~25 cu/ft upright freezer with a 1/2 barrell conical in it! :p

day_trippr

"Now brewing exclusively with Hydrohydroxic Acid"
Reaction score
The OP has a dorm fridge. What's that - 1/15th your beast? :D

Cheers!