Fermentation Chamber Fumes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassassassin772

Reaction score
I just finished building my ferm chamber. I placed a sheet of OSB on the bottom for support and sprayed it with spar urithane. Will the fumes given off affect my fermenting wort?

Its outside of the fermenter correct? I cant quite picture in my head what youve got there but even if the fumes are toxix I cant imagine them rising, then sinking again back into your airlock, then penetrating the layer of Co2 ontop of the beer to cause problems?

but, 2nd opinion from someone familer with the rig and sealant?

air it out for a while before use.

But like Priemus said, I can't imagine the fumes rising up and getting passed the air lock. It is after all ....an air lock. It's what they do. Not to mention there is a layer of CO2 that lays between the beer and the airlock.

You're beer is protected by the fermentation vessle, CO2 layer and an airlock/blowoff tube. But think about it. If you're honestly worried about toxic fumes, think about you, your family and/or pets. If it is that nasty I'm not going to have it in my house.

Air it out for a while or reseal it with something that doesn't make it smell like a methlab gone wrong.

Back