Fermentation chamber for two Speidel fermenters?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbus

Reaction score
Dusting off my rig after a couple year hiatus. Chest freezer kicked the bucket in the interim. Still have my Johnson temperature controller but I'm set on upgrading to a brewpi spark 3 in an upright fermentation chamber.

Found an upright freezerless refrigerator on Home Depot's website. 11 cu ft, adjustable shelves, decent reviews. Hard to say without seeing it in person but I'm pretty sure I could get a 60l Speidel and a 30l Speidel in there, one on top of the other. Maybe two 60l Speidels but I doubt it. A little pricey and I'd rather get one used off Craigslist but this just seems like a great size... Not too big... and I want to get things moving.

Thoughts on price? Refrigerator vs upright freezer (there's a 13cu ft upright freezer I was looking at as well)? Best way to mod this for a brewpi setup? The fridge mod tutorial on the brewpi website seems doable but I'd consider an easier approach if it exists.

Jaybird thermowell/blow-off tube combo for the Speidels should knock a few inches off height-wise. My only worry is that it's going to be really close whether the diameter of the 60l Speidel impedes closing the door and sealing. I'd rather not have to...but I guess cutting / notching out the shelves on the door would do the trick. Unless they're removable.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Danby-D...-in-White-Counter-Depth-DAR110A1WDD/205471286

Are you going to fill both fermenters the same day? If so you need two fermentation chambers as when you put the controller sensor on one of 2, you don't know what the temperature of the other will do. A slow ferment and it gets too cold, a fast ferment and it gets too warm. If you are brewing at least 3 days apart, you really only need to fit one fermenter as it will be past the peak of fermentation by the end of the third day and can be moved to just a cool place while the next batch is under controller.

True. Not planning on filling both at the same time. I guess I was thinking more along the lines of being able condition two beers at the same time after fermentation is finished on each independently. And I just haven't seen anything that is smaller height wise that could be used as a fermentation chamber for a single 60l Speidel... so I figured might as well make the most of the space.

Open to other upright recommendations for a single 60l Speidel though if better options exist.

Back