fermentation chamber for conical

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcopolo

Reaction score
I've seen many fermentation chambers in this forum for carboys, but what about conicals ? Thinking of somehow modifying my full size fridge to accomodate a 14 gal conical. Have taken out the barrier between the freezer chamber & cold chamber of the fridge, but it's still pretty tight. Considering building a foam enclosed box that could be connected to the fridge. Looking for help/ideas. I don't want to go glycol, and I already own this dedicated lagering fridge. Thanks !

how big is the conical??? I have a side by side also but i use a 15.5 sanke that i ferment in. So far all i have done is drilled holes in the center section to allow the temperature to equalize between both sides. I still have room above the keg for a carboy and a corny and on the freezer side i can fit 2-4 cornies

so i guess my point was that maybe it would be cheaper to just get a different fermentation vessel and use the fridge as is...

Here are some pics of my fermentation chamber. Maybe you can glean some ideas from them? Cheers!!!

Ranco controlled Haier 5250 btu AC. I bought the AC on clearance for $75.
DSCN1272.jpg

DSCN1274.jpg

DSCN1281.jpg

Thanks, Guys ! I have a fridge that I'm using. I've already taken out the shelf between the freezer & cooler, but now I have wires & the coils to deal with. My first plan is to try to rearrange the coils/wires to accomodate a conical. I know a 7 gal will fit, but a 14 is almost the same price (or the same at morebeer), so I'd like to step up to 10 gal batches. My back-up plan is to build an additional chamber that is either adjacent to the fridge and I could just cut a hole in the fridge and add a fan or I could fit the fridge with the fridge's door open like someone else did recently with a dorm fridge. This configuration is only necessary when fermenting lagers because I'm still planning on doing ales at room temps.
Obviously plan 1 would be cleaner & less work, but I don't know if I can rearrange the coils/wires. I've already ruined the fridge so I might as well follow thru. The fridge was free, and it works great as a fridge. I can still ferment/lager buckets & carboys so all is not lost. Maybe I can hit the lotto and score the morebeer 2.0 ultimate conical ! Thanks, again for your help !

Back