Fermentation Chamber, Fan Needed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris-P

Reaction score
I'm planning to build a fermentation chamber from a mini-fridge, very similar to this setup: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/another-fermentation-chamber-build-253949/

So is a supplemental fan truly necessary? I realize that it will help air circulation but is it a must have?

I ask because I intend to buy a Johnson controls to minimize wiring hassle. And if I also need to hook up a fan, that will require addl wiring.

Thanks in advance.

i think a fan is absolutely necessary. if you look at a chest freezer, you've got cooling coils in the entire space. with an expanded mini fridge, you just have a tiny section of cooling coils. you have to move that cool air into your box.

Yes - a fan is necessary - I started out with a small computer fan that I wired up - wasn't enough (my chamber is a fairly big one though - able to fit 6 carboys). After having the freezer plate ice over and become completely ineffective- I defrosted and tossed a small desk fan in there - solved all my problems. Wiring can be straight forward too - just put a multi-plug on the controller, plug the fridge in and plug the fan in. Both will cycle.

Yes - a fan is necessary - I started out with a small computer fan that I wired up - wasn't enough (my chamber is a fairly big one though - able to fit 6 carboys). After having the freezer plate ice over and become completely ineffective- I defrosted and tossed a small desk fan in there - solved all my problems. Wiring can be straight forward too - just put a multi-plug on the controller, plug the fridge in and plug the fan in. Both will cycle.

Makes sense. Thanks all

Was wondering how/what you use to power the computer fan?

No fan in mine. Use to have one but it died and I never replaced it. Still making great beer...

Does it matter where you mount the fan? Because I planned on mounting am 80mm fan to the collar in upper right hand corner.

P1010001 - Copy.jpg

Latest posts

Back