Fermentation chamber DIY

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewer_Dad

Reaction score
Hi, I just got a minifrige and I'll use it as a fermentation chamber during summer. It fits my 5gal fermenter perfectly:

20201111_185920.jpg

I will use an inkbird thermostat and a heating pad. The thing is that I need to get two cables into the fridge and I don't want to leave much space in the door isolation:

20201111_205158.jpg

I'm thinking about making a cut in the rubber, run the cables and then close the cut with something.

Ideas?

I just closed my freezer on my cables but gravity assisted that. Since yours doesn't have a freezer you can't check for ice but what I would keep an eye out for is condensation inside the freezer. That is a sure sign of air getting in.

Great set up you have there. Don't cut the gasket, just stuff some fiberglass insulation where the cords are. It's not a perfect seal, but it's good enough. You only need temp control for 2-3 weeks at a time, after that, pull the cables out, and let the fridge just cold crash your beer. (don't forget about flooding with CO2 to avoid suck back and oxygen intrusion). Also, check to make sure that bottom shelf can support 60lbs of water first.

Yes! For safety I switched the bottom glass for a piece of wood and some books 😅

I don't do CO2 yet but I'll look into that.

Thanks for the feedback.

Back