Fermentation Chamber and adding heat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrG

Reaction score
I know there are quite a few threads on the heating question but I live in on the coast of CA where the temperature can range from 50 to 90 during the summer months. So with my new 15cf chest freezer (and a lot of reading on this forum) I'm almost ready to have some stable (is that a word?) fermentation!

With a DYI attempt (and trying to save money so I don't get "that look" from you know who)...and a few old computer parts hanging around, I got a power supply working and put into the freezer 2 old hard drives for heat with a case fan to move air.

What I'm worried about is if they will produce enough heat to warm 5 to 20 gallons of liquid. I did a test for about 20min and was able to increase the air temperature by 2 degrees with just the hard drives.

Anyone have a feeling about if that is enough or should I bite the bullet and go find some heater unit like others have done...

Thanks!!!!
Gresham

You can use a heat pad. They also sell "seed starting mats" that you can get in a variety of sizes to fit the bottom of your ferm cabinet. They don't get to more than 80 or so degrees so you won't be able to change temp very fast, but I'm not sure if you have that requirement or not. Those HD's don't sound like a very efficient heating source to me.

I made my own heat lamp/radiator by using a 100 watt lightbulb under a steel coffee can. The can radiates the heat without the light. In the winter my garage gets into the low 40's and my fermentation fridge stays right where it needs to be.

40W lightbulb and a line-level thermostat from the hardware store. Cost about $15 total, I think.

heatamabob1.jpg

http://www.reptilebasics.com/11-flexwatt-heat-tape.html
and
http://www.reptilebasics.com/wire-clip-insulator-set.html
This is one of the cheap ways too. Cut to length. Same basic thing as a ferm-wrap. Have to have a dual stage controller obviously.

I decided against a ceramic heater unit cause I thought it would heat up the ferm vessels a lot (mine are stainless) especially above the liquid line. And make it harder to clean gunk off. That was my theory, at least, after I tried one and ditched the idea.

http://www.reptilebasics.com/11-flexwatt-heat-tape.html
and
http://www.reptilebasics.com/wire-clip-insulator-set.html
This is one of the cheap ways too. Cut to length. Same basic thing as a ferm-wrap. Have to have a dual stage controller obviously.

I decided against a ceramic heater unit cause I thought it would heat up the ferm vessels a lot (mine are stainless) especially above the liquid line. And make it harder to clean gunk off. That was my theory, at least, after I tried one and ditched the idea.

SankePankey, I ferment in kegs too, so I'm wondering how you use the tape. Do you wrap it around the keg? Do you put something between the tape and the keg? I'd be afraid that the beer inside the keg wouldn't be evenly warmed, but if it works for you, I might have to go that route.

It hasn't arrived yet, I just thought I'd pass on the info.

I am getting a 4' (X 11") section to wrap around the whole keg. If that doesn't work well, I don't know what will. Gonna bungie it.

I wasn't under the impression that these had too high a temp since they are for reptiles- it doesn't say on the site. I mean, a ferm wrap is the exact same thing with a temp controller on it. I just have one on the ferm chamber instead.

One thing is you are really just trying to raise the temp by 10-15 degrees or so, so I'd think anything would really work, I just don't want to bake on the krauesen because the ambient air is 110 degrees. I'd rather have the heat tape in direct thermal contact w/ the beer thru the keg wall. I'll let convection take care of the rest.

Back