Fermentation at around 63*

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary22

Reaction score
So I have an English brown ale in the primary n I can't seem to get it to ideal temps. I want it to stay at 70ish* but the thermometer on the outside of the bucket reads 63*. I have a blanket wrapped around it n it's been in the primary about a week long. What should I do?

So I have an English brown ale in the primary n I can't seem to get it to ideal temps. I want it to stay at 70ish* but the thermometer on the outside of the bucket reads 63*. I have a blanket wrapped around it n it's been in the primary about a week long. What should I do?

What strain yeast are you using? Can you move the primary to a warmer location?

Depending on what yeast strain you used, 70 could be too high considering the inside fermentation temperatures could be 75+. I'd shoot for 62-66, so I'd say you've nailed it almost perfectly. This is all contingent on the yeast you used of course.

I've got an Irish red ale at 62 degrees and it's bubbling away like crazy on Wyeast London Ale 1028.

you're much better off having it at 63 than 70 unless you're trying to do a diacetyl rest now. most english yeast doesn't taste good at 70+

Back