Fermentation activity after 2 1/2 weeks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SDreher71

Reaction score
So I brewed a brown ale - my first brew ever - a couple of weeks ago. It was a kit with Muntons ingredients. I put it in the primary and never saw any activity in the airlock. I didn't worry about that, after reading on this site that the airlock wasn't a reliable indicator. Anyway, after 6 days in the primary, I opened it up, and saw there was about a 3/4 inch kraeusen ring around the sides but the kraeusen itself had dissipated, so I decided to rack the beer into the secondary. It's been in the secondary for about 10 days now, and doesn't seem to be clearing at all. I just went into the basement, and noticed that now the airlock is bubbling at a rate of about two per minute. I'm not particularly worried about it - the consensus of the more experienced brewers on this site seems to be that you have to really try hard to really ruin a batch of beer. I'm just curious if this is normal... Thanks...

Scott

yep it's normal for their to be off gassing of co2 which is vented out of the airlock...because that is what an airlock is for...it's not a fermentation gauge it is a blowoff valve.

Probably a shift in temp or something caused the yeasties to dance...

It may not have been fully fermented when you racked it. Did you take an hydrometer reading? Six days is pretty short for primary so my guess is that the racking slowed the remaining yeast down and it's been building up to finish fermenting. In any case, leave it for a few weeks and let it finish what it's doing. It really won't clear until it's done.

Latest posts

Back