Ferment times

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Until it is done. That means going by gravity not time. Wait until you no longer see any signs of fermentation, no bubbling airlock, no krausen on the surface (most of the time) then wait another couple of days. Take a hydrometer reading then. After that wait until the second day and take another reading. If the numbers are the same you can bottle.

For me I always go 2 weeks. Minimum would be about 7-10 days. If you really hover over the beer you might be able to rush it a day or so earlier.

The "correct" answer is that you can bottle as soon as the gravity is stable for 3 days.

As for a rule of thumb, 2 weeks is probably fine. A lot of people do 3 weeks, but I've found that to be unnecessary for a simple pale ale or ipa.

I go with three weeks. That way I know it's done, as I don't take gravity readings, and I end up with a nice and clear beer without having to cold crash.

Beers with an abv of 4.5 & below will Usually finish in a week sometimes a week & a half. I always ferment for two weeks. That way it gives the beer a little more time to clear up, & mellow out off flavors. Just be patient, I know it's hard. Remember yeast is a living organism it does its own thing.

Back