Ferment Chamber Build Commercial Refrigerator - Drilling Hole Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toms_Jeep

Reaction score
I have a large double door SST Turbo-Air commercial refrigerator that I am using for my fermentation chamber. I am looking to drill a few hole in the back corner or through the top for electrical wires, heater, fan and controller wires.

Does anybody know where the Freon lines on these things run? It is just like the True brand. I can see where the lines enter from the bottom in the center back and the connect to the condenser center top. I would think the line would run straight from point A to B but I wanted to check.

One thing you can do is carefully drill a 1/8" hole where you would like to run the lines, then take a piece of stiff wire and poke around inside and see if there are any lines you'd run into if you drilled through.

You're less likely to have lines on the top, or at the corners. You also might consider whether the lines are in the sides or whether the condenser is in the bottom or back of the unit, and thus you have no such lines shedding heat in the sides or top.

Here are a few pics; one is a standard refrigerator into which I've drilled holes for bulkhead shanks as well as to accommodate lines for chilling fluid coming from a reservoir in my freezer compartment out through the top, the other is a mini fridge also used as a ferm chamber.

minigrommets.jpg newsetup2.jpg newsetup7.jpg

Can you post a pic?
Commercial units generally have an exposed and serviceable evaporator. Meaning it's not in the walls such as in home unit. Are there fans in the refer?

Latest posts

Back