Fermcap users?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RiffMagnum

Reaction score
I know that Fermcap can decrease Krausen levels in the fermenter, but does this visibly affect what you see in your blowoff tube/airlock as well? My first batch has been in primary for about 20 hours. I have bubbles and noises, but no other activity or visible signs to speak of. As a noob i guess i'm just paranoid. I see pics of other peoples airlocks/blowoffs and there's tons of crud in there. Btw, it's a 5 gal batch of Hefe in a 6.5 gallon plastic vessel.

I thought fermcap was for primarily the boil keeping the hot break down? I'm not 100% sure though since I've never used it. As I'm sure you'll see from others, signs out of the airlock is no way of determining fermentation activity. Only a hydrometer can do that! One of my primary bucket fermenters has ZERO airlock activity. It's sealed and everything but not enough to force out the co2 caused by fermentation...so I must have a small leak somewhere. No issues though with infections. Just reinforcing the idea that airlock is no indicator of fermentation activity

Is anything leaking? Have a good seal on the bucket? And I've never used Fermcap for krausen control, but I do use it for foam control in the boil.

I thought fermcap was for primarily the boil keeping the hot break down? I'm not 100% sure though since I've never used it. As I'm sure you'll see from others, signs out of the airlock is no way of determining fermentation activity. Only a hydrometer can do that!

Yeah, i was told it helps for reducing hot break and krausen levels.

Is anything leaking? Have a good seal on the bucket?

No leaks that i can see/hear. How far do you guys usually shove the airlock down into the hole in the stopper? I used a rubber mallet to seal the bucket, so i should hope there's a good seal. Got it from AHS, which seem to be known for good sealing buckets.

I edited my last comment to expand a bit on airlock. Is it a bucket? You may be like me...have a small leak somewhere causing less airlock activity. Buckets are notorious for leaking.

I edited my last comment to expand a bit on airlock. Is it a bucket? You may be like me...have a small leak somewhere causing less airlock activity. Buckets are notorious for leaking.

No doubt. I am getting bubbles and noises, but just nothing "heavy." I guess it's simply the first time nervousness. I do have a fermometer attached and don't plan on opening it for at least two weeks to check FG. You guys have at least taught me that much. :)
To clarify, i added Fermcap at the hotbreak only. I was under the impression this carried over to control krausen levels, but maybe not. Maybe more drops are needed after pitching? Was hoping someone could shed some light on that.

You could put some soap around the lip of your bucket and see if you get any bubbles, just make sure it doesn't get into your beer though!

You could put some soap around the lip of your bucket and see if you get any bubbles, just make sure it doesn't get into your beer though!

Yeah, i'm not THAT worried i guess. Don't wanna risk messing it up, just to see if maybe it's already messed up. ;)

I find that when Fermcap-S is added to the boil it does reduce the krausen in the primary also, but not to the extent that adding fermcap directly to the primary does.

It will keep the krausen down a little but it doesn't stop airlock activity. It doesn't even really keep the krausen down all that much. Helps in the kettle though.

IME fermcap not only prevents boil over in the kettle/kettle but can also make a blow off tube unnecessary for those really active fermentations or those that are close to the capacity limitof the fermenter. Such as putting 6 gallons into a 6.5 gallon fermenter.

I also use it in my starters so that I have less to worry about.

Side benefit of using fermcap in the boil and ferment is improved head/head retention in the glass. Try it sometime, you could be pleasantly surprised.

IME fermcap not only prevents boil over in the kettle/kettle but can also make a blow off tube unnecessary for those really active fermentations or those that are close to the capacity limitof the fermenter. Such as putting 6 gallons into a 6.5 gallon fermenter.

I also use it in my starters so that I have less to worry about.

Side benefit of using fermcap in the boil and ferment is improved head/head retention in the glass. Try it sometime, you could be pleasantly surprised.

So you just add another couple drops after you pitch your yeast?

I generally do not get any krausen or foam in my airlock/blowoff tube unless I am brewing a big beer (over 7% ABV). I seriously doubt your Hefe is anywhere near that level. I would not worry at all. No gunk in the blowoff on a small beer is completely normal...

I typically make sure I use it when the volume going into the fermenter doesn't leave as much head space as I would otherwise like. If I have less than about a gallon of headspace, I make sure to add fermcap. There's been enough times where I've forgotten and have had to clean up the fermenter afterwards. Luckily, those are stainless (as are all the fittings except the airlock) so cleaning is pretty easy. Even if it's been a few weeks since the gunk got onto it.

I generally do not get any krausen or foam in my airlock/blowoff tube unless I am brewing a big beer (over 7% ABV). I seriously doubt your Hefe is anywhere near that level. I would not worry at all. No gunk in the blowoff on a small beer is completely normal...

That's what i've been wanting to hear. :rockin:

Back