FermCap Users - How Much, When and Where?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc Robinson

Reaction score
I purchased some FermCap and it came with no instructions. I am boiling a volume of 13 gallons.

I think I have seen 1 drop per gallon.

I am assuming I add it while I am bringing my wort to a boil. I also want to use it in my fermenter to reduce blow off. Is the kettle addition sufficient or should I add it to the fermenter as well?

Thanks.

Right from the horse's mouth;

Fermcap-S Foam Inhibitor: Prevent boil overs on the hot side, add a few drops per gallon for a nice rolling boil. On the cold side, Fermcap keeps the krausen in your fermenter to 1/2 an inch. Allows you to brew slightly larger quantities in your existing fermentation vessels. Use only two drops per gallon at the start of fermentation. Used in the fermenter, it increases the bitterness of your beer (retained IBUs) by about 10%! Comes with dropper lid. Enough for about 20 batches.

I use 2-3 drops per gallon. I add them right after I put the brewpot on the burner.

I've never needed to add it again to the fermenter, and I've not had a blowoof in years, so I'm assuming that it's enough in the wort to prevent it.

Interesting. I never knew that IBU's would increase by using it in the fermenter. Anyone know how this works chemically?

Nice...I just read all your praise in the other thread...I hope this works. I am doing my first 10 gallon batch (boiling 13 gallons in a 15 gallon kettle).

I've only used this once. I added it to the boil per instructions and it worked like a champ. Adding to the fermentor may be a bit more tricky. I added it right after pitching, but unfortunately my fermentation lagged about 24 hours. By that time the stuff settled out and I had a vigorous blowoff. So timing is everything. Only add it at the beginning of ACTIVE fermentation.

I've use it a lot. Here are my experiences:
  • Helps a LOT in the boil.
  • Doesn't help in fermenter. If you used it in the boil, it will not have any effect in the fermenter.
  • Increase in IBU is a stretch. By preventing blowoff, the loss of hop oils is also prevented. But in my experience the blowoff is going to happen if that is the bent of the yeast and the FermCap isn't going to prevent it.
  • If boiling DME for starters, works beautifully. If boiling in an Erlenmeyer flask, it is a must.

I use 2 drops / gallon.

I use fermcap in the fermenter to prevent blow-offs, and it works great. You have to add it directly to the fermenter just as fermentation is starting to build, even if you added it to the boil kettle. If you add it too early, it all settles into the trub and doesn't work.

If you add it as the krausen is building you can literally watch it break down the krausen and foam as it foams. Works great.

I use fermcap in the fermenter to prevent blow-offs, and it works great. You have to add it directly to the fermenter just as fermentation is starting to build, even if you added it to the boil kettle. If you add it too early, it all settles into the trub and doesn't work.

If you add it as the krausen is building you can literally watch it break down the krausen and foam as it foams. Works great.

Great to hear that there is a process that works. I'll try that with my next brew. Thanks. [Oh yea, thanks for the doc on freezing yeast, too. I've been doing that for the last year with great success.]

I add one dropper full after my runnings are collected and the heat is on to get them boiling. I don't worry about the fermenter as I use a blowoff rig every time. Apparently the fermcap settles in between chilling and pitching and stays out too, because I need the blowoff rig every time.

Back