Fermcap-S not working for me?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebel_scum

Reaction score
So I got 2 bottles of this stuff in the mail about 3 brews ago, and was pretty excited to use it- in my starters especially but in my boils as well.

I added 2 drops to all 3 starters prior to the boil, and still had to manage the boilover pretty regularly.

I added 10 drops to the 5 gal batches prior to the boil and still had to manage the foam with a spray bottle until the hot break. I use a megapot 8 gallon kettle.

Anyone else have these issues or see anything I am doing wrong? Possibly a bad batch of Fermcap? I used some out of both bottles with the same results.

Do I need to wait to add it after initial boil maybe?

Thanks in advance-

Try adding a few more drops. Or shaking it a little before you open the bottle.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I add a single drop to starters and I can get a rolling boil going in my flask with zero chance of boil over. Like Geoffrey said, are you shaking it before adding drops?

Thanks for the replies guys-

I was not shaking it up before dropping it in, duh. I will try this tomorrow and also try using a bit more and see how I fare.

Sometimes you just need someone to point out the obvious :smack:

I put one drop in my starters. I still have to drop the flame once it starts boiling or it will boil over, but it's much easier to control it.

I start with 8.25 gallons in a 10 gal pot, eight drops of Fermcap, and it works great. Still have to adjust the flame once the boil starts, but once that's done, it goes great.

If I put 10-12 drops of baby gas drops in my boil I have to wait a minute or two for it to disperse and start dropping the foam. I have used it maybe 1 time for starters. I've since gone to canning starter wort ahead of time and need only mix the yeast and wort in a sanitized flask and turn on the stirplate. A few hours with the canner yields a few months of convenient starter wort, sterilized water for rehydrating dry yeast, and jars of priming sugar solution, ready to go.

I add it before it starts boiling.

Yep, I usually do, but sometimes I don't really plan on using it until things start to look a little foamy. Now that I have a 15 gallon keggle, I don't really use it at all unless for some reason I revert back to my turkey fryer.

Once it's mixed in 10-12 drops seems fine for a 5 gallon batch.

Thanks all- just to update I started shaking it and letting it warm up a bit before use and it works perfectly now. Excellent advice! Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back