Fermcap is ruining my brew day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTheKing

Reaction score
12 drops in just before boil. No more screaming to my brew partner when it starts to boil over, panicking trying to find the spray bottle, or trying to stir and spray at once while dialing down the propane with my foot while holding a beer.

Now I just sit there and drink, staring at it. Boring as all hell. Damn you, fermcap.

:mug:

12 drops in just before boil. No more screaming to my brew partner when it starts to boil over, panicking trying to find the spray bottle, or trying to stir and spray at once while dialing down the propane with my foot while holding a beer.

Now I just sit there and drink, staring at it. Boring as all hell. Damn you, fermcap.

:mug:

12 drops? It only take two or three to get the job done.

I would gradually reduce the number of drops you use until you reach your desired excitement level.

That's the plan - but as a man of science I started with the suggested amount and will dial it back until there's brewpot anarchy again, then split the difference.

This is going to make solo brew days that much more enjoyable.

3 drops per how many gallons? I usually add around 12 drops to a 13 gallon boil, but would love to go lower.

One thing I've noticed is that it definitely pays to add the FermCap long before you reach a boil, and that if I add it just as it starts to boil/foam up it doesn't seem to start working fast enough to prevent a boilover.

When I am boiling over I usually just panic and toss the whole bottle in. Still doesn't work.... And it gives it a real nasty flavor if I don't fish the bottle out.:D

Latest posts

Back