Fermantation Has not still Started after 20 hours

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RollingStone

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have tried to brew an IPA yesterday and it has been 20 hours and still no bubbles coming through the airlock. I have used a yeast starter so there should have been enough yeast and my yeast starter was pretty healthy as it was doing well during last 5 days. I have now added some dry yeast with my hopes maybe will be okay now. The hydrometer showed 1062 when I measured right before pitching my yeast starter.

Have you guys experienced anything like that before ? if you did any idea why?

Don't worry about it yet. 20 hours really isn't that long a lag time. If you don't see any action by 72 hours then it's time to start thinking about options. I have had fermentation take anywhere from 6 hours to three days to get started.

Wait another 2-3 days then come back and we will try to diagnose. I suspect in a short while you will see activity. Probably it was soon to go off without the added dry yeast. Certainly with the dry yeast it should be going soon.

Is the beer in a bucket? If so the airlock may never bubble. They are notorious for leaky lids making new brewers panic unnecessarily.

I would make sure to check the lid for a tight seal and make sure the yeast had enough o2 to do their job. Temp is another thing. Should see something soon. Good luck!

Wait another 2-3 days then come back and we will try to diagnose. I suspect in a short while you will see activity. Probably it was soon to go off without the added dry yeast. Certainly with the dry yeast it should be going soon.

Is the beer in a bucket? If so the airlock may never bubble. They are notorious for leaky lids making new brewers panic unnecessarily.

Great comment. Thank you so much. I was worried because so far I have brewed about 6 different beers and for the first time I am experiencing this. normally it starts in 6-10 hours.

I use the same fermentation vessel which is a plastic bucket in the same fridge that I dont use so, temp is stable and 21degree ish.

The yeast though, I normally like the WBL001 which is the california ale and use it for my brews. but this time I wanted to try a bit different and gone for American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056)

If your room temperature is 21c or 69.8f I would try to cool the wort some. Fermentation creates heat. So if your wort is at 21c (on the high side) at the start it could rise 5 degrees at the height of fermentation. I find that the mid sixties Fahrenheit is the best for those yeasts. Try to keep the wort temperature stable. A swamp cooler is the least costly. Get a vessel big enough to put the bucket in, add 6-10 inches of water and rotate frozen water bottles as necessary to control the wort temperature.

Take a new hidromether read. It's the only trusty way to know if fermentation is on its way

Back