Fermaid K

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prjectmayhem

Reaction score
I have tried searching for this but keep getting redirected to wine/mead posts. Does anyone use fermaid K in their fermentation or in their starter? I can't figure out when to use it. I have always been using servomyces with every batch of beer and have had great results so far. What advantages would fermaid K offer and when would I add it to the wort/beer/fermenter? Thanks!

Fermaid K is a yeast nutrient that is added to fruit juice in the making of wine because the fruit juice is lacking in the nutrient. Wort is not fruit juice and contains all the nutrient needed for the yeast. You can add the nutrient but it isn't likely to do much.

Fermaid K can help if you are only using water as a means to re-hydrate and activate dry yeast.
Barley wort has the sugars, proteins, and nutrients present more so than grape or honey musts.
Manufacturers of dry yeast will sometimes advise against making starters because a yeast packet usually contains more than enough yeast cells to inoculate a 5gal. batch of wort. If you'd like to make a starter from dry yeast for a higher gravity beer, go for it. I've done it more than once adding Fermaid, wort, and water to energize the dry yeast and minimize lag time in the primary for beers with a starting gravity of 1.050 or lower.

Why 1.050? Easy.
I sometimes use White Labs liquid yeast and you can pitch the packet contents directly into the wort.
It says that's acceptable on the packet and wort over 1.050 is where they recommend a starter being used.

Back