Ferm temp for Jamil's Brown Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrBJones

Reaction score
Today I'll be buying ingredient's for the all grain Brown Porter in Brewing Classic Styles ("Who's Your Taddy") and brewing tomorrow. Jamil says to ferment at 68º...but is there a chance of fruity esters at that temperature? I'll be using Wyeast 1028 (London Ale) as he suggests. Fermentation will be in a chest freezer with an Inkbird.
Thanks!

(PS - Any tweaks or other suggestions?)

Typically London Ale yeast and generally British beers are meant to have a little bit of that fruity ester. You can certainly ferment a few degrees colder. It will probably suppress some of it.

If you want a low ester cleaner beer you could also use WLP001 or Wyeast 1056.

My typical method has always been to follow Jamil's recipe the first time through and then reflect on the results to tweak it for the next batch. I've used the book as a tool to compare and create a baseline of what the style could/should be. (Assuming it comes out as expected at least!)

Today I'll be buying ingredient's for the all grain Brown Porter in Brewing Classic Styles ("Who's Your Taddy") and brewing tomorrow. Jamil says to ferment at 68º...but is there a chance of fruity esters at that temperature? I'll be using Wyeast 1028 (London Ale) as he suggests. Fermentation will be in a chest freezer with an Inkbird.
Thanks!

(PS - Any tweaks or other suggestions?)

And you can detect fruity esters in a complex beer, like a Brown Porter?

The meaning with an english yeast is usually to get a bit more esters and maltiness in the beer, due to its profile, fermentation temps., attenuation, etc.

If you do not want fruity esters, you should change the yeast to a clean, american ale yeast or maybe something else.

It IS an ale yeast, but you can always drop the fermentation down a few degrees, especially if the temp is within the suggested range specified by Wyeast.
In Wyeast's description, that strain gives off esters ... And yes, certain fresh hop and yeast combinations will give off perceptible fruit odors some will notice more readily. I have a "foodie" at home who's hyper-sensitive at times about aromas, flavors, and textures his two uncultured brothers would never think twice about.

Interestingly, I just bought ingredients for the same Porter recipe. I have brewed several recipes from the book and always adjust the ingredients and instructions to my system staying within the OG, % of grain bill, IBU(s), etc ...but I use the yeast mfr’s optimal fermentation temps.

Back