Ferm Chamber Woes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlg5039

Reaction score
I brought home a working mini fridge today. I added a "collar" to it so that it was big enough to house a primary bucket. I plugged it in to monitor the temp it runs at and... NOTHING.

Wtf? :mad::mad: It was working fine a few hours ago.

Any ideas? It is an older Holiday.

Mike

I removed the door (front facing), added a 6 inch collar to make the interior space larger and then attached the door to the collar.

How did you attach the collar the fridge? Some fridges have coolant lines that run through the walls.

I left it plugged on overnight. Nothing, not a sound. Its like there should be a breaker or something to reset.

The collar is attached using liquid nails.

Did you check a breaker in your house? Did you try a different outlet, in a different room/circuit?

When electronics do stupid crap, this is my first suspicion.

Pic of collar.

ForumRunner_20110626_071208.jpg

Did you check a breaker in your house? Did you try a different outlet, in a different room/circuit?

When electronics do stupid crap, this is my first suspicion.

Yes yes and yes. Stupid appliances :mad::mad:

So when you plug it in, there is absolute silence? There is no click or anything? If you have a rubber mallet, turn the fridge around and locate the compressor and give it a whack with the mallet. Don't knock the crap out of it, but hit it fairly hard. Do this while it is plugged in.Sometimes during moving they get "stuck". Also look at the compressor, there should be two wires connected. One with a screw one with a slide on connector. Make sure the slide on one didn't come off in the move. ( It has been 20+ years since I worked on fridges so this may be bad info but it won't hurt anything even if it is)

They may have put a safety interlock (magnet in the door or similar) and the unit won't turn on unless it senses the door is closed. Because of the collar it can't sense the door and won't start.

^^^ i was just about to say that, try and remove the collar, reattach the door and try it again

They may have put a safety interlock (magnet in the door or similar) and the unit won't turn on unless it senses the door is closed. Because of the collar it can't sense the door and won't start.

ugh..yep... never even crossed my mind.

Back