Ferm. chamber with temp. controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brian74

Reaction score
To achieve the desired fermentation temps, should I set the temp controller a few degrees cooler to overcome the heat generated by fermentation?

Typically yes, but not all fermentations generate a lot of heat. I would start out a few degrees lower and check the temp with a ticket on thermometer. Then you can adjust the chamber temps accordingly.

I've been taping the probe to the side of whatever it is I'm fermenting, and I just set it to the desired temp.

I've been taping the probe to the side of whatever it is I'm fermenting, and I just set it to the desired temp.

Thats what I do. I take some bubble wrap and make about a 1.5" thick square out of it to insulate the probe against the fermenter. The set point will then be the beer temp and you dont have to think about anything after that. "set it and forget it"

I tape the probe to the vessel then take a cloth napkin and cover it with some plastic (visqueen) and tape that over the probe so the tape is wrapped all the way around the plastic to insulate the probe from the ambient temp of the fermentation chamber.

Back