Ferm Cap - Love it? Hate it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just barely know what it is for. I've never felt like I needed it. So until I have a need, I guess I'll be one that doesn't use it.

So does that make me a "hater" seeing how the choices of the question were one of two extremes?

Not a hater, never used it.

First wort hops. Natural. You're using hops anyway. Effective.

20220108_131258.jpg

What's chemically in that? I'd be interested in understanding the chemistry going on to understand how it would change the beer. Like what's the trade-off?

"FermCap® S is a unique emulsion of an extremely effective surface active agent Dimethylpolysiloxane which prevents foam formation by reducing surface tension. FermCap® S is a unique emulsion of an extremely effective surface active agent Dimethylpolysiloxane which prevents foam formation by reducing surface tension."

Anyway, I believe it's similar to simethicone. which is what's in Gas-X...

Cheers!

"FermCap® S is a unique emulsion of an extremely effective surface active agent Dimethylpolysiloxane which prevents foam formation by reducing surface tension. FermCap® S is a unique emulsion of an extremely effective surface active agent Dimethylpolysiloxane which prevents foam formation by reducing surface tension."

Anyway, I believe it's similar to simethicone. which is what's in Gas-X...

Cheers!
So, fewer beer farts? ;)

its good stuff. so is the five star's foam control which I think is cheaper per application as it is more concentrated. I used it to routinely boil 20-21 gallons in a Spike 20 gallon kettle. I previously also used it to control foam in fermenter. It seems to settle out with the yeast and doesn't seem to impact head retention.

I use it for boils, works great. Never had to apply the recommended dosage, which is a couple drops per gallon. When my kettle is just coming to a boil, about 4 or 5 drops knocks down the foam.

When I was using propane, it worked great to eliminate boil overs. A few drops added gave me time to turn down the gas and not make a mess and waste sugars.

I find I don't need it now I've gone electric, since the response speed to adjustments is so good.

Glad someone else asked this, I was going to create a new thread.

Up until recently, I had been using it every time (5+ years) I made beer, but I was wondering if it was affecting the head on the beers or adding a chemical I don't need to drink. The last couple of brews, I did First Wort Hops instead, but I am not sure if I noticed a difference in the boil or the beer. Other than the product website, is there any science on the FermCapS? does it drop out during boil, or carry into fermentation, etc., etc., etc.

Not a hater, never used it.

First wort hops. Natural. You're using hops anyway. Effective.

View attachment 755059

FWH vs Fermcap? I read your post as Fermcap was natural, no worries.

I've only FWH a few of my beers. Most brew days, I'm chucking the bittering hops in at boil and praying, with one hand on the propane regulator.....

I've used it for years, have never had an issue with head retention (except when I undercarb a beer I'm too eager for). I did learn that it's better to use it once boil really gets going, instead of adding a few drops right before it starts; foam dies down faster, and less squirting with water bottle is needed. Requires being super vigilant (having a brewvision helps to know when boil is about to happen) so a mess is averted. I also just learned that the foamy sticky mess up the side of my boil kettle can be taken care of by turning my spray bottle to squirt instead of wide spray. Made cleanup last weekend much easier.

I didn't use it for a long time thinking it must be harming head retention because it's anti-foaming. I gave in and tried it after a few messes on the stove when I returned to boiling indoors and some one gallon batches pushing out the stopper/airlock from the carboy. I use it both at the start of boils if the kettle is dangerously full and again with pitching if the fermentation vessel is too full for comfort. Really like avoiding a complete mess and have not noticed any difference in head retention. If anything on those one gallon batches in 4l carboys I feel like I might have slightly better head retention from not losing as much of the hop oils to trub stuck to the neck but I might be imagining that. Either way, happy with the results and experience no downsides. I should have been using it years ago.

I feel like I might have slightly better head retention from not losing as much of the hop oils to trub stuck to the neck but I might be imagining that.
I definitely have better head retention on hoppy beers when I use fermcap. I haven't done a complete side by side, but it's pretty clear.

I use the target brand infant gas drops cause I wanted something quick and they work amazing. I love it in my starter, kettle and fermenter. I can do a 2l starter in a 2l flask and never had a ferment pop the airlock. My first pour of the day is always too foamy so don’t worry about that:)

Latest posts

Back