Female QD o-ring issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nine9bullets

Reaction score
I have a few female QD fittings from Northern Brewer that I used for the first time today with my pump and noticed an issue during mash recirculation. I removed the hose and noticed that not one but two of the o-rings had jumped out of their groove on the fitting and had lodged in the silicone hose. I removed them both and refitted them but it does appear they don’t have a snug fit and are easily removable. Both o-rings are clear silicone I believe, not the reddish orange color rings I have in other fittings. Any one have any idea about a replacement or what may have caused both to come out?

If the fittings were assembled dry, that might be the cause of the o-rings shifting. A thin film of lubricant would help a lot, but you mention that the material might be silicone so you need to make sure whatever you choose is compatible for use with silicone. CIP Film and other common keg lubes might degrade them if they are truly silicone. Replacing the o-rings and using keg lube might be the fastest and cheapest option.

+1 ^
I'm not crazy about silicone o-rings, they tend to stick and tear up quickly in fittings like that, where there's a sliding motion, friction. They're usually very fine to use under compression, such as the flat washer ("o-ring") in the "bottom" of female Camlocks.

I'd replace those QD o-rings with Buna-N type rings and use some keg lube on them.

+1 ^
I'm not crazy about silicone o-rings, they tend to stick and tear up quickly in fittings like that, where there's a sliding motion, friction. They're usually very fine to use under compression, such as the flat washer ("o-ring") in the "bottom" of female Camlocks.

I'd replace those QD o-rings with Buna-N type rings and use some keg lube on them.

Thanks for the suggestion. Do you know what size they might be?

Back