Feedback on Strawberry Rhubarb Semisweet Mead Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BroStefan

Brewer
Reaction score
I'm about 4 batches into mead making after years of home brewing. I think I've gotten the basics for productions and fermentation down and want to try a recipe of my own.

I'm going for 5.5 gals into the primary, targeting a standard mead ~ 12% that is perceived as on the low end of semi-sweet (or perhaps off-dry might be the description).

12 lbs Clover Honey
15 Lbs frozen Strawberry
4 lbs Rhubarb

Water to make up the volume.

I haven't settled on a yeast yet. Up to know I have used 71b-1122. Any recommendations?

Thanks...

Copied from Gotmead.com - Read More at:http://www.gotmead.com/forum/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=230

You can go that route and use 71b-1122 but I personally wouldn't for a strawberry rhubarb melomel. I am really on a kick lately to use Cote Des Blancs yeast. Usually for a Rhubarb Wine or mead the most recommended yeasts are EC-1118 or Montrachet. Both would be fine for what you have but I would suggest Cote des Blancs as my first choice. Also consider making a BOMM out of it using Wyeast 1388 Belgian Ale Yeast - check out the website at (https://denardbrewing.com/blog/category/mead/). Even if you decide to use a wine yeast, strongly consider using Bray Denard's Staggered Nutrient Addition regimen for a good meal result. Oh oh, my new first choice is Wyeast 1388 with Cote des Blancs second.

Here's a tip for your rhubarb - Use lots more. For a 5 gallon batch, usually the suggestion is 3-4 lbs. per gallon so that would equate to 15-20 lbs. of rhubarb for your recipe. Personally, I'd use even more (25-30 lbs.). I know you may have size limitations on your primary, I use a 12 gallon bucket for my 5-6 gallon batches when I add fruit. The other option is to add fruit to the secondary (bucket) for even more fruit flavor. If you do, then remember to start with a lower volume in your primary so your final secondary batch size is the approximate five gallons you want.

Second tip for your rhubarb - Lower the oxalic acid content. Many people object to using a lot of rhubarb in wines/meads because of the oxalic acid. So remove much of it. Here is how (can use rhubarb juice in primary or in secondary).

- Wash and cut the rhubarb stalks into small pieces about 1 cm long.
- Freeze the diced rhubarb pieces in freezer bags and after 7 days minimum thaw in a nylon bag.
- Then press the rhubarb pieces and collect the juice.
- Carefully pour the 100% rhubarb juice in freezer bags and carefully freeze them solid in an upright position.
- After 2 days minimum, get the frozen juice iceballs out of the bags and cut off the top part of the ice which has a different color and discard it to remove most of the oxalic acid.
-Thaw the trimmed rhubarb juice iceballs and collect the thawed juice into a carboy. Try to determine the volume of rhubarb juice (dipstick dowel method in a container calibrated volume to the dipstick is best).

Good luck with your batch. Let us know what you decide to use.

Latest posts

Back