Feedback on espresso stout recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ipagene

Reaction score
I already ordered the ingredients, brewing this weekend. Looking for any last minute suggestions.

Espresso Stout

estimated OG: 1.099
batch size: 5 gal

extract:
7lb light dme
2lb dark dme

steeped grains:
1lb crystal 90L
8oz chocolate malt
4oz roasted barley
4oz black patent malt

hops:
2oz northern brewer hop pallets
1oz willamette hop pallets

yeast:
american ale yeast, wyeast 1056
will do a starter

espresso:
16oz espresso, added to secondary

priming:
5oz dark dme

schedule:
primary - 1 week, with a blowoff tube for first 3 days
secondary - 2 weeks
bottle condition - 2 weeks

Thanks in advance

--
Gene

Looks good. Personally I like to just secondary on whole coffee beans. Coffee has acidic/astringent properties when heated with water and it can really put an already on the edge stout over the top. Not to say it won't be good, but it will take longer to mellow out. I'd either put the beer on whole beans or do a cold extraction for your espresso.

Last stout I did I used 12oz of Kona Beans for a week. 5 months later every bottle still has an awesome aroma of coffee.

Gene,

I would try using real cane brown sugar for priming. I did this with my first stout and it was great. Revvy has a great chart. You can find your desired amounts here:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/bottling-tips-homebrewer-94812/index9.html#post1114892

Also, with the espresso, I would dial that way back. I just made an oatmeal stout and put 4 ounces of Irish Creme flavored coffee in (not Baileys, just roasted with some added flavors). I put my coffee in at the two week mark to dry coffee it.

EDIT: Just read that you planned on putting espresso in and confused it for espresso in the bean form. Ignore above comment about coffee.

Hope this helps!

Coffee has acidic/astringent properties when heated with water and it can really put an already on the edge stout over the top.

I'm really looking forward to getting that bitter espresso taste in the stout. I'll use less shots of espresso. Do you think I should cut back on the hops too, since the coffee will give it extra bitterness?

I am planning an espresso barleywine and while thinking about it I guessed that 16oz fresh-brewed espresso would be a good place to start in a 5 gallon batch. That was just my instinct, and I haven't tried it yet. That said, I think YOU should try it!

I have "dry-beaned" a stout before. I don't recall the numbers off the top of my head, but I wasn't very impressed with the resulting aroma/flavor. I do LOVE espresso and I think it would be hard to over-do it adding brewed espresso to a finished beer like a stout, porter, or barleywine.

Hell, I'd even mix them 1:1!!!! (Now I know what I'm doing tonight....) :)

I am planning an espresso barleywine and while thinking about it I guessed that 16oz fresh-brewed espresso would be a good place to start in a 5 gallon batch.

I have "dry-beaned" a stout before. I don't recall the numbers off the top of my head, but I wasn't very impressed with the resulting aroma/flavor.

I added the espresso before I read your post; ended up using 4 double shots of espresso (8 fluid ounces). We'll see how it turns out. The stout already had a coffee dark chocolate taste from the specialty grains, didn't want to mask it with too much espresso.

When I was researching for my stout I tried to cold brew some coffee and didn't like the taste, it was watery and dull.

Espresso barleywine sounds nice. Have you thought about using lighter roasted beans for a sweeter espresso taste?

Latest posts

Back