Feed a starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mezman

Reaction score
So I got my starter all made up last Friday so it's be active and ready to pitch after my Saturday brew session but due to unforseen burner problems, I never got to brew last weekend. So guess what I'm doing this Saturday! :)

My question is: since my starter has been chillin' for the past week in the basement, should I brew up some more starter wort and give the starter yeasts something more to feast upon to get them re-invigorated? Or just decant the beer and pitch the yeast cake? Does it matter?

Thanks!

From what I understand there's two reasons to do a starter. The first and most important is to up your cell count so you'll have more yeast in your beer which will reduce off-flavors released in yeast reproduction... so in that sense you've accomplished your goal.

The second is to get your yeast kicking and ready to go. And while your yeast isn't currently feeding I think that since it's only been dormant for a little while you'll be fine just pitching it. I'm certainly not high on the food chain of yeast knowledge though...

That said, given these two goals, I think that adding more wort might still be helpful, if unnecessary (assuming you don't make -too much- yeast).

Just decant and pitch. Most ale and lager yeasts will be fine for about 2 weeks before you would see much drop in viability. The ones you have to be more finicky about are wheat strains.

GT

Back