FedEx Woes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catch-22

Reaction score
Ok so here is some quick backstory. I sent 4 entries to Weasel Boy Brewing's Beer for Boobs comp 3 day fedex. I was monitoring the tracking number and noticed a problem. I contacted FedEx about the package and they said that they held the package because it was alcohol and that I didn't have the proper documentation. I inquired as to the fact that it was a small quantity going to a beer comp and they said they would get back to me.....

Here is their written response;

Dear FedEx Customer,
We received your claim request. However, after reviewing your documentation and our records for the shipment referenced above, we cannot honor your claim. According to our records, the shipment contained an alcoholic beverage and did not meet the FedEx requirements for shipping alcohol. When shipping alcohol, it is imperative that the shipper comply with FedEx policy and all state and federal requirements.......

The claim that they are not honoring is the fact that I had my entry fees in with the beer. What do you suppose happened to that cash?

I am so pissed right now.

Better than a check. I have been doing this for a long long time and never had an issue. I don't care about the money so much but the principle is what gets me. Oh and two of the entries were my last stock of previous medal winners. Oh well. Time to make more.

Cash they just get my money. Check they have my routing number, checking acct etc.... I have had my identity stolen before with a check. Not fun

Can't do **** with a routing number. You can always dispute the charges via your bank. This situation sucks. But a check is a great way to track the transaction if it's cashed. Regardless of whether or not your identity was stolen, this sucks. But I understand your reasoning and if you're willing to lose that amount of cash, that's all that matters.

So you can't ship alcohol through Fedex at all? Or is there some kind of special process you have to go through? I know you're supposed to be able to ship the post office. Not sure how though.

Are they going to return your package too you?

I'm more curious to know how they knew it was alcohol without opening your package up. Maybe a bottle broke? Did you pack it securely so that there were no bottles rattling around against each other?

Rev.

According to the claim adjuster, they said that it didn't have the proper labeling to indicate alcohol. I doubt a bottle broke as they were individually wrapped and double bagged. I honestly think the only thing that could of happened is the box got crushed or something.

While speaking with the claim adjuster I did ask what measuring tool they were using to identify my entries as containing alcohol and what were the measured percentages. She was not amused but in reality, neither was I. The whole thing sucked.

According to FedEx, it is only legal to ship alcohol if you have a license or it is shipped from a location that has a license (brewery, homebrew shop). Additionally, you have to indicate that it is alcohol, pay a little more and there is a signature required by someone over 21.

Have you told FedEx that these are alcohol samples sent in for analysis? I believe that is the loophole that is typically used for homebrew competitions.

I ship mine through the Post Office and tell them it's BBQ sauce for a comp if they ask.

Not a good idea. My understanding is that it's actually illegal to ship alcohol with the post office and you could get in real trouble for it. The worst thing FedEx or UPS will do is refuse future shipments from you.

Fedex can be real A-holes. I had a cap leak last year when sending to a comp and they pulled the same crap. I went right up the chain and demanded to know exactly why they assumed what was in the package was alcohol, as many things can smell like booze and not contain alcohol. I pushed it all the way to the top and laid down the bigger issue of the mishandling of a package clearly marked as FRAGILE (I know that machines do most of the handling and otherwise packages get abused anyway, but I was livid). They ended up refunding my shipping cost and sending me a check for the reported value of the package ($50 i think). It was the only issue I have had with them in 15 years and have continued to ship without an problem. The people I had to talk to were unhelpful and belligerent all the way through. Squeaky wheel and all that.

I ship mine through the Post Office and tell them it's BBQ sauce for a comp if they ask.

I never tell anyone I ship through what's in the box because I schedule a pick-up at my house. I leave the package on my front porch and the shipper comes and gets it. No face-to-face interaction whatsoever. I have a very long driveway. So, someone stealing the box isn't going to happen.

I print labels at home for fedex and then drop them off at the store around the corner. I usually have an errand to run so it works out. I have a business account online so I save $$ and I don't have to wait in line. Some of those people are freakin' annoying and nosey. UPS pissed me off recently on an unrelated subject. And their prices are insane. So I pack carefully and ship for 20% less than UPS. Win-Win.

Old scrap uhaul moving blankets make an incredible packing material. I usually am shipping bottle too.

Both FedEx and UPS only allow licensed and contracted people to send beer and wine, the USPS is not allowed to ship any alcohol period. You can fudge the truth or lie when you ship, but really there's always the chance they figure out that it's beer and confiscate it. Beer competitions ask you to ship the beer in...but they don't deal with the legalities of doing so. When you ship beer samples to say, White Labs using their pre-made labels, they are actually licensed to ship and receive alcohol for example. Your best bet? If the competition has a local drop-off point, drop it off there.

Latest posts

Back