Favorite winter ales with quick turnaround

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corycorycory09

Reaction score
I'm trying to start a new tradition with my family. This thanksgiving we are going to homebrew a batch together to drink on Christmas.

Can you reccomend any good winter/christmas beer recipes that will be grain to glass in 1 month.

I will be kegging so that should help a little on the timeline.

Although this isn't exactly what you asked for (specific recipe), in general, with appropriate pitch rates, temperature control and kegging, most recipes can be turned around in 4 weeks no problem. Fruited beers or wood additions would likely prolong the ferment, but anything else can likely be done. Many people say higher gravity beers take longer to mellow and come into their own, but I find many of my bigger beers are just fine at 1 month.

In general, primary ferment is done in 2 weeks. Cold crash (I fine with gelatin) for a few days then keg. Give it a week at serving pressure and you're ready for Christmas eve!

What kind of beers do you like? I don't know that there is a "Winter/Christmas beer" but many people go for darker styles or spiced beers during the colder months. Hope this helps

I'm trying to start a new tradition with my family. This thanksgiving we are going to homebrew a batch together to drink on Christmas.

Can you reccomend any good winter/christmas beer recipes that will be grain to glass in 1 month.

I will be kegging so that should help a little on the timeline.

Most <1.080 gravity ales should be easy to turn around in 1 month, in my opinion. Make sure you have an active, appropriate size starter going.

I like Xocoveza clone (Stone's mocha stout):
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=492778

I find a month would be pushing it a bit, especially for a "traditional" winter beer. Most things will be drinkable though! Maybe a black IPA?

Back