Favorite Way To Add Heat/Spice Without Flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GaoDeBrew

Reaction score
Any suggestions on the pepper, process, and ratio for specific levels of heat? I also would like to split the batch after the boil so prefer not to add spice until after primary.

I have used Dried Amarillo Chile soaked in vodka and dumped into the secondary for a pepper pale ale that is a crowd favorite. Only thing is the Amarillo Chile adds a lot of pepper flavor, which tastes great, but isn't what I'm looking for in the next brew.

Aiming for a Mango Pepper/Habanero IPA. Thinking of using Anaheim or Habanero in a tincture in order get a flavorless heat addition, but I have never used those before. Appreciate any advice!

How about capsicum extract?

Interesting and would probably work, but is fairly pricey at ~$16 for a small bottle. Thanks for the suggestion.

I'd prefer a tincture of dried peppers in vodka. since those can be had for cheap. Just looking for what peppers impart the least flavors while still providing heat.

Personally, I've used .25 tsp/ 5 gallons of Cayenne in secondary to great effect. I was trying to clone Yeti's Great Divide Imperial Chocolate Stout and according to the brewers, they used the Cayenne to create the same heated/warming mouth feel that it seems you're going for.

Ghost pepper is all heat with little flavor. Hottest pepper on the scale.
Habanero has fruity flavors and a nice kick.

Neither of them have what you'd call a pepper type flavor you'd see with flavors associated with Mexican foods.

Wear gloves when you handle them and don't touch private parts:)

Ghost pepper is all heat with little flavor. Hottest pepper on the scale.
Habanero has fruity flavors and a nice kick.

Neither of them have what you'd call a pepper type flavor you'd see with flavors associated with Mexican foods.

Wear gloves when you handle them and don't touch private parts:)

I find ghost peppers actually have a faint smokiness, so I wouldn't say all heat personally. Trinidad moruga scorpion and carolina reaper peppers are actually hotter; the latter being the most potent. I imagine you'd only need a speck of it for a full batch. I've added a whole dried chipotle to a porter before, and it was almost too much.

Back