Favorite "Two Hop" IPA combinations.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By the powers of Necromancy i reanimate this thread!
*magical chanting and sparks flying from fingertips*

I've a homebrew competition coming up in a few months for specifically American IPA`s and need some ideas.
I personally am not a fan of the style and never drink them so this puts me in a bit of a bind. Lemme hear what you peeps like!

By the powers of Necromancy i reanimate this thread!
*magical chanting and sparks flying from fingertips*

I've a homebrew competition coming up in a few months for specifically American IPA`s and need some ideas.
I personally am not a fan of the style and never drink them so this puts me in a bit of a bind. Lemme hear what you peeps like!

mine was the 1st response in this thread and I'll stand by it: Deschutes Fresh Squeezed IPA is one of the best IPAs (or beers even) I've had that isn't made down the street from me

Nugget for the bittering, Citra & Mosaic late additions and dry hops

all-grain and extract clone recipe here

I've brewed the extract version and it's the best beer I've ever made. won brew club competitions, good comments from buddies in another brew club and no one could tell it was an extract batch (fresh DME is key, although the recipe says liquid. 8.25 lbs LME = 6.6 lbs DME)

I have a slightly different question about two hop combos than I intended for this thread. And I have done a few of these suggestions and they are awesome.

My next 2-hop question is- I just brewed an all citra IPA. I'm a big fan of Oddside's Citra Pale, it's my goto between brews commercial buy.

Anyway I was if there was any non-citra whole hop that would be an interesting addition run ONLY through my water filter Randal.

What would be a nice fresh burst aroma and front of the palate bite that would boost or compliment the citra under it? My plan was just whole hop citra which I've done before, but then I remembered this thread and thought it would be an interesting question to pose to the "brew-mind."

:mug:

I have a slightly different question about two hop combos than I intended for this thread. And I have done a few of these suggestions and they are often.

My next 2-hop question is- I just brewed an all citra IPA. I'm a big fan of Oddside's Citra Pale, it's my goto between brews commercial buy.

Anyway I was if there was any non-citra whole hop that would be an interesting addition run ONLY through my water filter Randal.

What would be a nice fresh burst aroma and front of the palate bite that would boost or compliment the citra under it? My plan was just whole hop citra which I've done before, but then I remembered this thread and thought it would be an interesting question to pose to the "brew-mind."

Revvy, meet Mosaic. You're welcome.

I have a slightly different question about two hop combos than I intended for this thread. And I have done a few of these suggestions and they are often.

Nelson. Definitely Nelson.

For what it's worth I did a single hop English Pale Ale with Nugget. It's a little unorthodox given the fact that Nugget is not the typical English Ale hop. But, I was extremely surprised by the intensity of the flavor in pretty small doses. Did a 5 gallon batch with the following recipe.

Maris Otter
2-Row
Aromatic Malt
Crystal 80

0.5oz at FWH
0.5oz at 10
0.5oz at 5
0.5oz at Flameout

US-04

Have had it kegged for two weeks. Finally tried it a couple days ago. Huge stone fruit flavor, mainly peach. Some citrus nose to it as well. I've always seen this hop as a bittering charge. Very few people I've seen use it in the later additions. Extremely intriguing flavor. Could play well with a bit of Centennial or Cascade. Maybe even Simcoe in an IPA? May have to give that a try.

Revvy, meet Mosaic. You're welcome.

I am really excited about this combo. Don't have much experience with Mosaic, but last summer I had Founder's Mosaic Promise and the brewery and fell in love with it.

This is an interesting article about some guy's experiments with a citra ipa base beer and dryhopping one all citra and one with mosaic. He seemed wowed by the mosaic dryhopping....

Surprisingly, the more aromatic of two. Explosive oily hop aroma with a big berry note coming though. It smells like Citra and Simcoe made love in a blueberry patch. Perfect hop for a beer like this. The esters, hop aroma, and malt character all blend together fantastically. It was a little sharp (read:catty) at first, but that faded after 4-5 days. I’m getting a little more grungy character than the Citra had, but it’s welcome. I’d say this version tastes more like an IPA, since the perceived bitterness is higher. I find it funny how just a different dry hop can change perceived bitterness in the same wort.

I don't know how much of an impact it will be when the beer is quickly passing through the hops in my ghetto randall.

C54DB923-305F-41BA-9EB5-7B77331A0083_zpstpmn5b8a.jpg

Though after the drinking session there is beer that sits with the hops inside there until the next time I use it, so that's where it might affect the overall flavor as opposed to just maybe aroma and front taste.

The cool thing about having this randall is I can play around with various combos, by just switching them out.

Nelson. Definitely Nelson.

Yeah because of this tread I've fallen in love with Nelson I've done two ipas with Nelsen, one with Challenger and one with Admiral which of course I called "Admiral Nelson IPA."

12814766_10153456333764067_9083062198283220616_n.jpg

13680640_10153757651714067_6794641997816750815_n.jpg

I also did a "White Wine Wit" using Halletaur Blanc and Nelson and white grape juice that is a great summer sipper, especially for non-beer drinkers who tend to like white wine.

13669573_10153757654834067_5605138485351595822_n.jpg

This thread has become my favorite since I created it, I've done so many cool beers with doing just two hops based on all of your suggestions so far.

Damn Revvy, love your labels! I bet the beer is OK too....

Thanks, Yeah the beers were good too. :fro:

These are my tap handle graphics, each of them is the size of a baseball card, and slipped inside a plastic card sleeve with magnetic tape on the back. And these stick to two metal plates on the frames of my handles.

My build thread on it is here.

haven't used it much lately, but back when I brewed regularly I loved Centennial and Amarillo together as late hop additions. I brewed a IIPA that was Magnum at 60, and then a total of 8oz of Centennial and Amarillo from 15 mins to flameout.

Revvy, in your honor I'll necro this thread yet again....

I love my IPA's and have gotten in a groove with Galaxy/Mosaic /Citra as a combo. In fact if anyone asked me for a great combo, this would be my answer.

BUT, for something different as a variation, what would be a good 2 hop combo suggestion? I have Nelson Sauvin, Moteuka, Amarillo, Sorachi Ace, Citra, Mosaic plus a variety of other regulars. I bitter with CO2 extracted CTZ, so bittering is not needed. What two hop combos other than GMC (3 hops of course) will knock your socks off?

How would Galaxy and Amarillo work?
How would Galaxy and Nelson work?

If so, what ratios are suggested?

Nelson and sorachi ace is an interesting combination. Not quite as quaffable as nelson and galaxy though.

Nelson and sorachi ace is an interesting combination. Not quite as quaffable as nelson and galaxy though.

I am probably leaning toward the Nelson Sauvin and Galaxy two hop combo in a standard IPA grain bill similar to the one Revvy posted.

Based on the characteristics of these two hops used together, should I make it easy and just do a 1 to 1 ratio?

I just used Sorachi Ace and Amarillo two hop combo in a Hoppy Wheat with a lemongrass infusion. Its in the fermenter but I feel the SA is going to play well with the lemongrass flavors. We shall see.

I have brewed with a 1:1 before, worked great.

I have a el dorado and cashmere ipa in the fermenter at the moment, initial tastings are very promising.

Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but I just brewed a two hop combo that surprised me at how well it turned out. I was looking in my freezer and came across a pound of Bravo and Summit. I did a 50/50 mix and the results are delicious! Taste like eating Orange Marmalade with a hint of lemon.

Anybody else discover any recent two hop combos?

Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but I just brewed a two hop combo that surprised me at how well it turned out. I was looking in my freezer and came across a pound of Bravo and Summit. I did a 50/50 mix and the results are delicious! Taste like eating Orange Marmalade with a hint of lemon.

Anybody else discover any recent two hop combos?

Sounds like you found a good combo! I'll jot this one down for future use!

I like to choose one hop that gives a baseline flavor, then an accent hop that hits high notes if this makes sense. I worked up an IPA recently and used Sterling and Vic Secret. I actually liked it well enough to consider it a house standard blend in an IPA or a PA.

Stay warm in your area!

Citra+Amarillo
Simcoe+Amarillo
Chinook+Amarillo
EKG+Bramling Cross+First Gold ( I know, it's 3, but they work well together )
Mandarina Bavaria+Hallertau Mittelfruh ( tried it once - loved it )

I haven't used Eureka!, although I wanted to for some time now.

I too read it's dank and quite potent, so maybe something citrusy and / or fruity to balance it out: Amarillo, Citra, Denali...

Eureka has a very light stone fruit flavour. It's aroma is super piney, really strong. It's best used as a dry hop. Equinox, Simcoe, sorchi ace and Nelson will all work well with it imo.

Anybody got a good pairing for eureka? It seems pretty dank

Try things like Apollo and Calypso, since I assume the intent here is to get a "2+2=5" pairing rather than just throwing the usual $$$$ hops at the problem.

Whilst I'm here :

Goldings + Fuggles - old school
Goldings + Bramling Cross 60:40 - my favourite combo for a northern-style best bitter
Goldings + Jester - Romney Marsh do a great beer with this combo.

The likes of Azacca, Bravo and Calypso are useful hops that have lots of flavour but can be rather one dimensional on their own as they have slightly wonky oil profiles (Bravo has lots of geraniol for instance), but compliment other hops well. Try something like 2:1 Calypso:Bravo for instance, which works nicely considering they're both pretty cheap hops.

For my next American Lager I'm thinking in use a combination of Bravo and Perle hops.

Doing a take on SN Pale Ale I used cascade in the boil and dry hopped with Galaxy. I also fermented with Voss... the combo of the three is quite nice.
I did a wheat beer with those two hops a while back. They went well together.

I’m inspired by this thread as just come across it looking for combos. 80 per cent of my brews would be american IPAs but usually use. 4 or 5 or just 1, like in the original post.

looking for session strength too, about 4.5 to 5 per cent so thinking a maris otter Extra pale base with some caramalt, then simcoe and amarrillo, Libert bell yeast.

havnt seen equanot mentioned but I’ve used that with a Amarillo and citra to good effect.

Back