Favorite recipe for Wyeast 1056 American Ale??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbb3

Reaction score
I bought some 1056 for an IPA then changed my mind and decided to pitch a different yeast. So now I have a 1056 sitting in the frig needing something to do...

What is your favorite recipe in which you use 1056??

I use 1056 for a quick American Wheat. I make a grain to glass in 10-14 days (kegging of course).

I think my rough recipe for a 5 gal batch was something like:
5# US 2-Row
4# American Wheat

.5 oz 60 min Columbus or Magnum
1oz 10 min Tettenanger
1oz 1 min Tettenanger
Lemon Peel soaked in Vodka at 1 minute
Crushed Corriander at flame out

I hop mine up a little bit at the end for a nice aroma, but you can omit the final hop additions if you choose.

I just Brewed an Irish Red Ale recipe with 1056 and it came out fantastic. Fermented it around 62-64 and cold crashed with gelatin after 2 weeks. Came out super clean tasting.

I like it for any American Pale ale, American IPA, Amber ale, Brown ale..... One of my favorites. Though I haven't used it in a while.....

That's like asking for a favorite recipe that uses flour! The Chico yeast can be used in any American-style ale where you want a neutral yeast. As mentioned IPA/APA/brown/amber, but also a pumpkin ale, American barleywine, etc.

LOL... Flour?? I know it's a good multi use strain but come on. ;)

I've recently kegged an Irish Red so have the covered. An American wheat sounds interesting minus the lemon vest. I'm not a fan of lemon flavors in my beers.

Still looking for that magic pairing...

:mug:

Actually you guys joke about flour but it is used in recipes to permanently haze a beer that would clear and add body. There's an interesting post going right now about it. Not trying to hi-jack the post.

I meant a food recipe (say cookies) that use flour. Should have clarified :p

My point is that you can brew pretty much any American ale with it. I use it for probably 50% of my beers. Just to name a few: pumpkin ale, SMaSH IPA, amber, barleywine, porter, milk stout, cider.

I could recommend Yoopers House Pale Ale recipe. I am about to brew that next week with 1056 that I washed from my Red Ale. It is a 5 start recipe over in the recipe section with hundreds of great reviews.

I recently emptied a keg of Yooper's HPA. Great recipe! You'll like it. But I like to rotate and try new recipes.

I have an Irish Red & Arrogant Bastard clone on tap. Moo Hoo Choc stout & Sweetwater IPA clones in the chamber.

Next???

Still looking...

Back