Favorite Hops To Brew With

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptainKi11z

Reaction score
I was curious if anyone has any goto hops outside of the main "C" hops that they like to use for a lot of their brews. I'm on my third brew and would like to start experimenting with different hops but don't know where to start. What are your favorites for aroma, flavor, different styles, etc? And why?

Falconers Flight, Nelson Sauvin and Galaxy, these are quite like a lot of the "C"s but have subtle nuances.

I find Galaxy is just overall more citrusy hop and I do sometimes get a hint of passionfruit, great aroma. I'm going to do a Galaxy only Farmhouse soon.

Nelson Sauvin. Amazing wine like character that has a nice grapevine-esk character.. goes well in anything.

As for Falconers Flight it's super grapefruit. Super tropical. Haven't brewed with these in a while but am going to to a pale ale with them in December I'll find out if I like them as much as I did before.

Chinook is always my bittering charge.

Northern Brewer is a favorite dual use hop that I love. I also use warrior, summit and magnum for bittering.

I make a house pale ale I call Green Warrior which uses warrior (duh!) and Green Bullet which is a New Zealand variety. I love this combo!

Azacca has become a favorite of mine for late hop and dry hopping IPAs. Hardcore apricot aroma and some citrus plays really nicely with mosaic.

I've also started to use Sorachi ace in my saisons which I enjoy greatly. It has sort of a lemony taste to it that goes well with saison yeast.

I have been using Bravo for bittering for the better part of a year now since It can be picked up cheap and works nicely in the background.

For IPA and pale ale I really like Nelson and Galaxy. Both are overly fruity hops. Nelson I use from 20 minutes onwards, Galaxy I use for whirlpool and dry hop additions. Riwaka is another nice hop to use late.

For lagers I can't go past Czech Saaz. Beautiful for nice crisp dry lagers. Use from bitters get addition onwards.

Usually just get whatever's on sale and go with quantity over quality but I've never had Galaxy let me down and some of my friend's best beers have had that. Love the floral smell you get from EKG but the amount of hops you need to really get that is annoying.

Summit's good and reliable if not flashy.

Back