Favorite Hop Schedule for IPAs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aprichman

Reaction score
Planning on brewing an IPA this weekend because I need to use up this pound of Azacca hops that I bought. When I bought a pound of hops I knew how much I was getting but I didn't really know how much I was getting until it got here if you catch my drift ;)

My estimated OG is going to be around 1.067 and I'm trying to finalize my hop schedule. I'm waffling over when to add the flavor hops, right now I'm thinking 60/25/5/flameout or 60/20/5/flameout. Adding hops at 60/25/5/0 would put me at 67 IBU while the 60/20/5/0 would ring in in at 63 IBU.

I'm more concerned about maximizing the potential of the flavor addition rather than locking in at a particular IBU.

Just wondering what everyone's preferred hop schedule was for an IPA. I'm thinking about dry hopping but I still haven't done it. I'm especially weary because I found a big chunk of pressed dirt or "something" :eek: in the bag of hops I was sent.

:mug:

For IPA I usually do a 60/10/5/flameout/hopstand for 30 mins./dry hop and or keg hop. Great flavor and aroma from this scedule. Use a simple grain bill and mash low.

90 Min boil: FWH, 30, 20, 10, 5, 0/Whirpool, Dry Hop.
Maybe a bit excessive, but I'm trying this with my next smash IPA.

Stone apparently only does a first bittering addition and then a whirlpool addition for many of their beers. (Source: Beersmith podcast #96, I think). It seems to work for them :)

I've tried all kinds of hop schedules but the one I found best balances simplicity and versatility is about 2/3 total IBU in the bittering addition and then very late hops at 10 or 5 or 0 with a whirlpool.

I usually do a 60 minute addition and then hit it heavy from 20 to flameout. Then dry hop.

Thanks for all your recommendations. In the kettle I've decided to go with 60/20/10/5/flameout additions, all 9.9% AA Azacca hops. The extra 10 minute addition should bring my beer to ~79 IBU and I'm putting an emphasis on the flameout addition (2/3 oz for a 2.5 gallon batch). Probably will skip dry hopping with these since I found that weird brown "thing" in my hops bag.

:mug:

This.
I have recently gone to this method and I think it works the best.

Favorite IPA-ish hop schedule these days:

- Chinook at 60
- Cascade at 20
- Centennial at 10
- Amarillo at 5
- Citra at FO
- Citra dry hop

No FWH, no big stands. Totally Old School.

I typically shoot for around 90 IBUs unless I'm doing a real face-ripper.

My lupulin shift happened about six years ago...

Cheers!

Favorite IPA-ish hop schedule these days:

- Chinook at 60
- Cascade at 20
- Centennial at 10
- Amarillo at 5
- Citra at FO
- Citra dry hop

No FWH, no big stands. Totally Old School.

I typically shoot for around 90 IBUs unless I'm doing a real face-ripper.

My lupulin shift happened about six years ago...

Cheers!

Oooh I like this. One of my favorite IPAs was pretty similar; some clean bittering hop at 60 minutes (probably Nugget or Magnum), trio of Cascade/Amarillo/Simcoe at 15, 5, and 0, and then dry-hop with Citra.

Can people give an idea on their flameout/hop stand quantities along with dry hop quantities?

Can people give an idea on their flameout/hop stand quantities along with dry hop quantities?

5-6 Gallon...

Flameout, 2-4 oz
Whirlpool, 2-4 oz
Dry Hop, 2-4 oz

The amounts really depend on what hops you are using & how many different types.

I bitter at 90 then an absurd amount steeped at flameout and a two stage dry hop.

60/hostand/dryhop

I like this approach as well, a bittering addition, then just keep throwing hops at the kettle after flameout for about an hour till you hit around 160 degrees...then dry hop as heavy as you please.

The post flameout additions, allowed to steep replaces the other late additions to the boil IMO.

Sounds like your getting great advice. The only thing I would add is... DRY HOP!

Enough bittering for target IBUs ---> touch of flameout ---> 2 parts hopstand, typically 160-170 for 60min ----> 1 part dryhop

The hopstand delivers more flavor, and a clean on at that, which lasts longer and seems more effecient than just late boil and dryhop. Still wanne dryhop for that really fresh punch, but it is different.

I usually go really bloody overboard with the amount of hopstand and dryhop, but they follow this general idea with the dryhop being the earliest cut, especially when I bottle.

This method gives immense yet clean and rounded flavor that can meld together with the malt, but still has the fresh edge we all love from dryhopping. The hopstand really keeps the flavor for a long time too. It´s amazing.

Enough bittering for target IBUs ---> touch of flameout ---> 2 parts hopstand, typically 160-170 for 60min ----> 1 part dryhop

The hopstand delivers more flavor, and a clean on at that, which lasts longer and seems more effecient than just late boil and dryhop. Still wanne dryhop for that really fresh punch, but it is different.

I usually go really bloody overboard with the amount of hopstand and dryhop, but they follow this general idea with the dryhop being the earliest cut, especially when I bottle.

This method gives immense yet clean and rounded flavor that can meld together with the malt, but still has the fresh edge we all love from dryhopping. The hopstand really keeps the flavor for a long time too. It´s amazing.

Nice, I might give this method a shot next time around.

For the most part, I've settled on a pretty traditional IPA hop routine. I aim for 40-45 IBU's at 60min, then add enough at 10, 5, and 1 to get it to around 55-70 IBU's depending on my mood. I always use at least 2oz for the dry hop.

60/hopstand/dryhop

This is exactly what I've been doing, although admittedly the beers I've been doing it with are still working their way through the pipeline, so I haven't been able to taste the finished product yet. But I'm optimistic, and if it works, I plan on adopting this schedule for all my IPAs.

Very interesting. I feel like that doesn't get talked about a lot here or maybe I just miss it because I frequent the noob section. Is there a way to FWH with BIAB?

Out of shire OCD habit, I really like a FWH/20/10/5. It depends on the hops I'm using, but this is pretty much my standard.

As a side note, I FWH all of my beers. Not exactly sure how the flavor differs from a 60min. addition, but my taste buds know what they like.

Back