Favorite Hop Combinations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theheadonthedoor

Reaction score
I'm aware that I can search through threads and threads of the same questioning, but with a lot of new faces and a lot of new hops, I am curious to see some new ideas.

So what are your favorite hop combinations?

I've done my fair share of ipas lately, using well known combinations like cascade and centennial to more obscure choices like belma and northern brewer.

But what is the best? I LOVE and have lots of Nelson Sauvin, Motueka, Mosaic, Citra, Apollo, Chinook, and Columbus, and I need to know what worked best for you so I can skip a couple steps in making the best IPA I can.

And I assure that my mashing, fermentation, etc. are all on point, so this is really a hop focused idea.

Thanks everyone!

My last big IPA I used Summit to bitter and Nugget, Amarillo as late additions and 7C dry hop. Was pretty damn good.

I am a big fan of using a really clean, high AA hop for bittering and then hammering the rest in at 15min to flameout. Warrior, Summit, Nugget, etc.

So far it is Nelson and Simcoe for me for homebrew...but Barley Browns has some killer hop combos. Right now I'm brewing a AU Summer/Cascade APA. Smells amazing but we shall see.

Golding/Tettnang
Northerbrewer/Simcoe
Northernbrewer/Citra
Perle/Hallertauer Mittelfruh

My "go to" IPA has become a Columbus/Citra beer.
1 oz. Columbus at 60
3oz. Citra at 5 minutes
3oz. Citra flameout/30-45 minute hopstand
3oz. Citra Dry Hop for 3 days.

A lot of people really like Citra/Mosaic...... A beer I will probably try at some point would be the same as above, but split all those citra additions up and make them 1.5 oz. citra/1.5 oz. Mosaic.

Please let me know your recipe after you see how it turns out. That beer is amazingly sweet with such a perfect mouthfeel. I bet a vermont yeast would be perfect in it.

The 5256/Citra is in an American Pale ale. I am not great at describing flavors but the 5256 seems to go with the Citra very well. Similar flavors.

.50 oz. 5256 first wort hops
1 oz. Citra and 1 oz. 5256 at flameout.
T-58 Yeast.

It is not too dissimilar from my Centennial/Cascade APA's

Heard Nelson with any of the C's are great. Just had an IPA that was bittered, aroma, and dry hopped with only Amarillo and it was amazing.

I like a lot of different combos, but Chinook and Centennial is one that I keep coming back to. It really works great ina Rye IPA.

I think my next combinations will be Calypso/Chinook, Mosaic/Citra/Moteuka, and then Nelson Sauvin/Amarillo/Columbus.

Also single hop El Dorado

Latest posts

Back